Angelfish death! NEED ANSWERS.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ImACoolguy

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have had 3 fish die in 2 days(2 pictus cats). All my water parameters are at non toxic normal levels. The only thing I'm dealing with is tannins. I had the angel about 3 weeks and he was perfectly happy I came in there today and found him floating at the top on his side. Any explanation????

Caleb

Might have a slight obsession with my fish

Your tank is not cycled...from info from last thread...angels are not hardy fish and do not tolerate any ammonia or nitrite.

Cycle your tank before you get anymore fish...or they will just keep dying

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Your tank is not cycled...from info from last thread...angels are not hardy fish and do not tolerate any ammonia or nitrite.

Cycle your tank before you get anymore fish...

I haven't gotten anymore. My ammonia and nitrite levels have been at 0 from the beginning not changed.

Caleb

For a tank to cycle there has to be an ammonia spike then nitrite spike then nitrates....

If nothing has ever happened then there is something wrong and your probably not testing correctly

I haven't gotten anymore. My ammonia and nitrite levels have been at 0 from the beginning not changed.

Caleb

This is not possible unless you are doing large 80% or bigger water changes daily. If you are using strips then they are wrong. If you have the api master test kit then you are doing something wrong. How high is your nitrate?

This is not possible unless you are doing large 80% or bigger water changes daily. If you are using strips then they are wrong. If you have the api master test kit then you are doing something wrong. How high is your nitrate?

I'm following the instructions directly from the booklet. It's an API liquid master test kit.

Caleb

Ph: 7.0

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 0

I added active bacteria to my filters via filter media from LFS about 5 1/2 hours ago.

Caleb

I don't know what to tell you with those readings unless you are heavily planted

Caleb, you lied to me, i feel pretty uneasy about all this. I wish you would have been a bit more forthcoming with the details. I would never talk lights and plants prior to proper cycling my man.. im willing to forgive and forget if you promise me to do everything in your power to properly cycle that sweet tank of yours! I may even send you a bangin plant package;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Caleb, you lied to me, i feel pretty uneasy about all this. I wish you would have been a bit more forthcoming with the details. I would never talk lights and plants prior to proper cycling my man.. im willing to forgive and forget if you promise me to do everything in your power to properly cycle that sweet tank of yours! I may even send you a bangin plant package;)

Sorry but what did I lie about? And Ive already told myself I will wait a long time if it means the tank cycles properly and no more fish deaths. I faced a hard reality today.

Caleb

Sorry but what did I lie about? And Ive already told myself I will wait a long time if it means the tank cycles properly and no more fish deaths. I faced a hard reality today.

Caleb

Maybe I was a little hard on you there, just thought you were a cool guy is all.:D so let's get this figured out, ask questions! We know stuff bro!!

If you have 0 nitrates then it means 1 of 3 things.

1 - Your tank isn't cycled

2 - Your plants are consuming all the available nitrogen.

3 - You are doing the nitrate test incorrectly.

As for 1 - you aren't getting any ammonia or nitrite readings and these tests are pretty fool proof so it's not very likely unless there's a problem with the test kit themselves which is super rare.

As for 2 - Highly unlikely. This was my planted tank and I still wasn't consuming all my nitrates.

BBjp0VH.jpg

As for 3 - This is the cause 99% of the time if the tank is cycled. You have to follow the directions to the letter or else it will give you a false reading of 0

Follow the video exactly.

The fish in the tank are the ammonia source...he's been having fish die because it's not cycled....

My ammonia readings have never left 0 is why I'm confused. I get it's not cycled but what made them die if all my readings are okay?

Caleb

The fish in the tank are the ammonia source...he's been having fish die because it's not cycled....

If the tank isn't heavily stocked, the nitrogenous waste may not be measurable after just a few weeks.

I had a few Cardinals in a 10 gallon quarantine tank recently and, about three weeks in, one died. I kept a blanket over the tank for about 18 hours a day, so it took a while to notice. (I was tipped off when I only saw two of them shoaling for a week.) I found a skeleton with no flesh or organs when I did the next water change. I immediately tested the water after that:

0 ppm ammonia
0 ppm nitrite
~2 ppm nitrate

That was with a decomposing fish AND plenty of uneaten food on the bottom of the tank.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

If the tank isn't heavily stocked, the nitrogenous waste may not be measurable after just a few weeks.

I had a few Cardinals in a 10 gallon quarantine tank recently and, about three weeks in, one died. I kept a blanket over the tank for about 18 hours a day, so it took a while to notice. (I was tipped off when I only saw two of them shoaling for a week.) I found a skeleton with no flesh or organs when I did the next water change. I immediately tested the water after that:

0 ppm ammonia
0 ppm nitrite
~2 ppm nitrate

That was with a decomposing fish AND plenty of uneaten food on the bottom of the tank.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

He just said he had an angel fish and 2 pictus cats die, last week another angelfish died, this is not the first thread on the matter....

His tank is not cycled and I'm sure the readings are wrong...

Back
Top Bottom