Angelfish eggs???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

calfishguy

Aquarium Advice Addict
I Think my almost year old angelfish have laid eggs. During a water change I noticed eggs underneath an ornament and before my angels were chasing fish out of that area of the tank.
What should I do???

Just wait. They may be unfertilized and will all turn white with fungus within a day or two. If they don't, then you can either move them to another tank or let nature take it's course in your tank and see how many survive. Chances are the parents could still eat them. In the meantime while you wait you can start reading up on how to care for the fry.

Are there any other fish the eggs could be from? Angels normally lay eggs in flat, exposed areas such as plant leaves, the glass, or heaters and filter tubes

Probably not if they are really small. But my bn pleco always ate my angels eggs at first lights out so don't be surprised if that happens!

Actually I'd look up when bn plecos are sexually mature. Bc if it was under an ornament chances are it was them bc they like to breed in caves. Can you add a picture of the eggs?

Also, how old are the angels, and have their breeding tubes ever been out or exposed?

tarpon said:
Actually I'd look up when bn plecos are sexually mature. Bc if it was under an ornament chances are it was them bc they like to breed in caves. Can you add a picture of the eggs?

Also, how old are the angels, and have their breeding tubes ever been out or exposed?

The eggs were under the arch of a bridge and no their tubes aren't exposed. My angels are roughly 10 months old.

10 months is old enough to breed if I'm not mistaken, well see What happens! My angels would always have their breeding tubes exposed more than normal a few days before spawning. And if the eggs were upside down on the bridge I don't think it was the angels...but time will tell

its pleco eggs angels wont lay under stuff. the eggs should be yellow or gold colored

I agree, angels won't lay under anything. I have 10 angels and in my tank they use the Amazon sword leaves, the filter pipes and the heater. Plus angels will stay with the eggs. They continually blow/move water over them. When one of my pairs have spawned the only fish that don't get chased are the Whiptail cats and Oto's. Don't know why but those two species don't seem to threaten them, but they also don't show any interest in the angels eggs either. My angels started breeding about 9 months of age and you really notice the females tube.

The angels may be semi-adopting them. They are eggs, instinct says to guard them. I had a pair lay yesterday and all day an odd female (not the layer) kept trying to get in to blow water on them and guard them. It was a battle of the females all day. Finally the male got enough and kept both females away, the layer and the intruder.

Rivercats said:
The angels may be semi-adopting them. They are eggs, instinct says to guard them. I had a pair lay yesterday and all day an odd female (not the layer) kept trying to get in to blow water on them and guard them. It was a battle of the females all day. Finally the male got enough and kept both females away, the layer and the intruder.

I've had a female try to fertilize the eggs another female laid before. As if she was a male. ..funny fish

Back
Top Bottom