Angelfish nipping at mystery snail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CrashCourse

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is this normal? It sounds like it depends on the personality of the fish, as I have read both that they should be ok together, and that they can attack the larger snails.
I have a large-ish (not quite golf-ball sized) gold mystery snail with a juvie angel who is not much bigger than the snail. It's not constant aggression, he just picks on him occasionally. He'll peck at the soft parts around the snail's face, and then leave him alone. The snail is still active and eats well, but stays more in his shell than he used to.
I've been keeping an eye on him, but its not getting any better. From what I can see, there doesn't appear to be any real damage (yet), but I don't want him to be living in a war zone. I'm trying to figure out if its time to rehome that snail. Will the angel just get more aggressive as he grows?
The only other tank I have running is a 20L that is already pretty heavily stocked as it is, so I'm hesitant to move him there.

Has anyone else had problems with angels attacking snails?

yes i have / the other fish in the tank will sometimes pick at the feelers or antennas as i call them. my gold fish in my 55 even do this.

Its normal for just about any fish to try and peck at snails naturally they see it as a food source as long as you don't have puffers you should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom