Angelfish on her back Please HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Musket

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My dads angelfish is about the size of the palm of your hand. She looked fine this afternoon except for a torn fin. Dad said a black molly was nipping at her and that he took it out of the tank. 3 hours later he called me and said her eye is red, there is no swelling and she is on her back, she is breathing steadily.
I do not know the exact water parameters, but he just changed the tank yesterday and is good about doing weekly changes with gravel cleaning.

Please help. She is his biggest and oldest fish.

7:22pm
update, he added some aquarium salt next to her nose, and she is swimming around now. He says her eye doesn't look as red. He is going to get some melafix to help heal her fin.
Other suggestions?

I'm happy to hear that things are looking better. Usually stress and injuries will cause a fish to assume unusual behaviors and the torn fin may have caused her to flip onto her back.

Tell your dad that a PWC will also help. Your dad also sounds like a veteran due to the addition of the salt, which is a natural therapeutic. The Melafix will help heal the wound. No need to suggest keeping an eye on the angel, it appears he already knows that.

I wouldn't think the molly "attacked" the angel, apparently the molly sensed an illness and took advantage of that.

thanks Jchillin. Yes I did suggest doing another water change. He lets his water sit 24 hours or longer and still adds the declor for safety sake.
Do you think "Pimafix" would also be a good idea? I suggested it, but not sure if he has any.

Back
Top Bottom