Angelfish & tetras?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

catzmeow

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 36 gal tank that I just added 3 angelfish to the 2 I already had in it along with three other larger tetras (don't recall the names) plus I have 5 small neon tetras that were previously there. Are these fish all going to be compatible? I have a smaller tank I can isolate if necessary.

Thanks for any & all advice! I thought I was doing well with all these types of fish until I started reading some of the posts re mixing angels with tetras!!

Sincerely,
Nancy

There shouldn't be any compatability issues, but 5 angels is too many for a 36. 3 angels is perfect, and 4 is pushing it, but 5 is too much.

[center:dcb246af24] :smilecolros: Welcome to AA, catzmeow!! :n00b: [/center:dcb246af24]
If this are wide bodied tetras and not shaped like torpedos, you may be in for trouble. The wide bodied tetras have a rep as fin nippers and angels have lots of fins :wink: Neon tetras--it's late and I didn't see that. They should be fine, but YMMV. The general rule of thumb for angels is 10 gals per fish.

Depends on how large the Angels are, if the neons will fit in their mouths then most likely they will become food.

Hi catzmeow, welcome to Aquarium Advice!

5 angels is definitly too much for a 36 gallon. You are going to want to either take 2 or 3 back to the store or upgrade your tank size.

My feelings on the compatibility is that thought they may be small now, I have known adult angels to eat tetras as a snack.

Also, with such a tight space for all those fish, they may tend to nip more and be more aggressive due to the fact that they feel they don't really have a territory of their own.

I aquired a 46 gallon tank...3 of the inhabitants were full-grown angelfish, and the 46 gallons was too small for them...they were aggressive towards each other and the other fish.

Back
Top Bottom