Angelfish with Rasbora Heteromorpha

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish4phil

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've read they would be OK together, and I've read they won't be. I have 12 Rasbora Heteromorphas, each about an inch long. Will they be eaten of I add a baby angelfish?

Rasbora max size is 2 inches, which is similar to Guppies and Zebra Danios. Though I've read that's not as issue.

Tank is 36 gallon with lots of real plant hiding spots in the lower half of the tank.

Sent from my mobile aquarium device

If a rasbora is an inch or bigger, I'm not sure how the angel can kill it other than attacking it, cause it will not fit in its mouth. The only fish I've ever seen angels attack is another angel or when they're protecting eggs. I'm not familiar with rasboras but I've kept angels for many years with different fish, I have angels with small rams and the don't even interact. Perhaps a very small neon tetra or very small guppy or anything that'll fit in their mouth would be considered prey.

It's a good question as I've read neons are meant to be food for angels and the rasbora's are about the same size? The thing I have found is that the neon's used to sit in a corner when I had angels in as well. When I transferred the neons in a net, the angels used to go for them as they were lifted out. Otherwise the angels didn't care when the fish were mid-level in the tank which is where my rasbora's also sat.

I've watched the angels sit under and look up at mollies but now days they get run over by the yo yo loaches popping up to see what is going on.

They can get to 2.5in but they have deep bodies so I think they'd be ok

Fishobsessed7

Thanks all -- seems like it's not a bad idea to try. I've always wanted an angel. And hey, maybe the rasboras will school even tighter? Right now (only have 6, 6 more are in quarantine, newly purchased), right now the 6 are just free swimming around my 36G, not much schooling going on.

When I had 10 they used to school pretty well. One would dart off but then come back. Used to look quite nice I thought. Unfortunately lost them all to cotton-mouth after ich.

Mine don't school at all anymore. They're all over the place like guppies

Fishobsessed7

Back
Top Bottom