Angelfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aok

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys & gals,

I've got a 55 gallon tank and it is planted, my temp is around 78°f, the ph is somewhere between 7.2 and 7.6, ammonia is 0, nitrite is 0, and nitrate is 5.

A few of my angels, 3 to be exact, have this weird white film? Over some of their body that is partly on and partly floating but attached, I'll post some pics as well, 2 that have it are eating but one of them is not.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1432129110.816148.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1432129129.333431.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1432129148.514752.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1432129178.414228.jpg

If there is anything I'm forgetting please let me know, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hey guys & gals,

I've got a 55 gallon tank and it is planted, my temp is around 78°f, the ph is somewhere between 7.2 and 7.6, ammonia is 0, nitrite is 0, and nitrate is 5.

A few of my angels, 3 to be exact, have this weird white film? Over some of their body that is partly on and partly floating but attached, I'll post some pics as well, 2 that have it are eating but one of them is not.

View attachment 272551View attachment 272552View attachment 272553View attachment 272554

If there is anything I'm forgetting please let me know, thanks!

I have a post about my angel as well right over his eyes he had a fuzzy film like eyebrows (pic in the post). It was also attached and free floating.

I started using anti fungal meds and upped my salt a bit.

It appears your fish have a bacterial infection, probably ( but not certainly due to pic quality) columnaris. I would suggest a more radical treatment such as removal from the display tank to a hospital tank and treating with either Furan-2 or Jungle/ Tetra Fungus Guard or Nitrofurazone green (which is the main ingredient in the other meds). Keep temps in the mid to upper 70s to keep the bacteria from multiplying faster until the medication takes hold. From the pics, it looks like your gold Angel will probably lose most of it's tail but it should grow back in time. Just keep it in a clean environment to prevent secondary infections once the dead skin has dropped off.
Columnaris is a quick acting disease so you want to start treatment A.S.A.P.
If you disagree with my assessment, here's a link to some common diseases and treatments that may help you better diagnose this problem. (Pics over the internet can be deceiving. )Chart on Fish Diseases, Symptoms and their Treatments

Hope this helps (y)

Can you get the fungal meds at petsmart? I'm working till 5-6 tonight so I can't do anything till then :(

Agree with Andy.
Seachem Products | Aquarium, Pond Treatments, Conditioners
kannamyacin also works .The link has meds explained.
Info on columnaris;
Fish Columnaris | Fungus & Saprolegnia | Treatment & Prevention
Good luck and keep temp 75 or under(don't raise temp!).
Should be able to meds find at big box store.

Can it be used with adfs and kuhli loaches? I'll get some tonight and dose the whole tank, I think more than just the Angels have it, sadly :( I will also lower temp to 75, is there anything else I am forgetting? Thanks for the help everyone, it is greatly appreciated.

I noticed it said to use furan 2 along with that product to fight against Columnaris, is this the proper thing to do or only the one?

Furan 2 works against both gram + & gram - bacteria however, columnaris is showing up, in some cases, resistant to "normal" dosing regimens. This is why the addition of Kanamycin helps raise the level of attack against gram - bacteria ( of which columnaris is a member) while the gram + part of nitrofurazone helps keep other bacteria from overtaking the wounds and creating a secondary infection. If you cannot get both immediately, I'd start the Furan 2 a.s.a.p. and if you see little change in a day or 2, you should add the Kanamycin.
One side note about Columnaris: As mentioned in the article Coralbandit sent ( and I highly recommend you read ;) ) This bacteria is common in genetically weakened fish and Angelfish have, unfortunately, fallen into that category. This is why it is imperative to keep a clean and healthy tank. Your water parameters sound good but something needed to trigger this condition. It may not have been from you but from where you got the fish from. This is another reason why with any fish today, it is highly recommended you do a quarantine period in a separate tank before adding any fish to your display tank. QT tanks don't need to be big. A 2 or 5 or 10 gal tank will do. All that changes between the 3 sizes I mentioned is the amount of fish you can hold in QT at one time.

I would also recommend, if more than just the Angels have it, I would put all the fish in a separate tank ( preferred) or bucket ( if you have no other choice) and do a massive cleaning in your tank. Stir up the gravel, empty and fill the tank water a few times until thing gets clean. Once that's done I would suggest using Seachem's PRIME and acclimating the fish back into the new water and the cleaner tank. Medicating fish in a separate bare tank is the best way to use medications.

Hope this helps. (y)

Back
Top Bottom