!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!AngelFishHelp!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wouldn't mess with the pH either. Most angels are now tank raised, not wild caught and can tolerate higher pH (I kept one for a few years in 8.4). pH swings are much more detrimental to *most* fish than a steady pH that is out of the normal range.

I made sure the ph an temp was steady, and tested my water before I added the fish. My othe angel is still alive but won't eat. I've been leaving him alone for now. Probably doing a wwc tommorrow. It seams as if he is shaking. Am I crazy, is that how they swim, or is ther something wrong with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Unfortunately, the soonest I could possibly get a new test kit would be next weekend. What should I do

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Is the ph in your tank still at 6.5. I used ph down when I was starting out on an empty tank and in a couple of days the ph had crept up to where it originally was coming out of the tank. This could have caused a shock to your angel.
How high is the ph from the tank.
I have really hard water with a ph of 8.2 and the only way I've been able to get it down closer to neutral was with dilution with ro water, but you need to be very careful and do it slowly. And need do have the same dilution with any water used for water changes.
But you may not need to do this as sambo said he kept Angels in ph 8.4

Unfortunately, the soonest I could possibly get a new test kit would be next weekend. What should I do

Just wait and get it tested at Petco in the interim, write down your numbers. If they say "all fine" ask for the ppm of each. Also, don't bother with the pH down. Stability is paramount when it comes to fish and it is best to simply use your tap as is (with dechlorinator of course) and it will result in a tank that is easier to manage and water changes that are quick and simple.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Petco is garbage. Sure, some nice plants here and there, maybe some nice driftwood, but they frankly couldn't care less about their fish. Same with PetSmart. I got my water tested there, they said it was fine, the next day I got an API Test Kit and my Nitrates were high, and same with Nitrites, and if that's what they consider "fine", then no wonder there fish die. Also, they seem to think that bunches of dead tetras stuck to a filter are good advertising techniques, so even if fish are cheap there, I'd rather pay a little more money than buy low quality fish. Sorry about your Angel, I went throughout the same ordeal with Cory's.

Nils

Petco is garbage. Sure, some nice plants here and there, maybe some nice driftwood, but they frankly couldn't care less about their fish. Same with PetSmart. I got my water tested there, they said it was fine, the next day I got an API Test Kit and my Nitrates were high, and same with Nitrites, and if that's what they consider "fine", then no wonder there fish die. Also, they seem to think that bunches of dead tetras stuck to a filter are good advertising techniques, so even if fish are cheap there, I'd rather pay a little more money than buy low quality fish. Sorry about your Angel, I went throughout the same ordeal with Cory's.

Nils
Not all PetCo stores are garbage, just like not all dedicated LFS are good. A lot gets determined by the manager of that department.
Try to get exact numbers on what they test the water at, and see if they use strips or drip kits. Strips can have very wide result ranges depending how well they've been sealed and kept air tight (like diabetic testing strips). They are highly susceptible to moisture.

How's the remaining Angel doing?

Nils

Trust me. I've been to many other petcos and petsmarts. I've even been to different local fish stores. However my naborhood petco is by far the best LFS I've been to. They don't care about making money they just help. In fact they gave me 30 dollars of free fish so I could save some money.

Hi Ethan;

Are you fully understanding what everyone means when they are advising that your tank is not fully cycled? Just want to make sure that you understand what is going on with your tank. Even if you don't agree with them, the fact that you don't have a liquid test yet to show you are fully cycled; err on the side of caution and start doing the necessary water changes to make your tank more fish friendly. Only a couple of days work but worth it for that the Angels will turn into later.

Hi Ethan;

Are you fully understanding what everyone means when they are advising that your tank is not fully cycled? Just want to make sure that you understand what is going on with your tank. Even if you don't agree with them, the fact that you don't have a liquid test yet to show you are fully cycled; err on the side of caution and start doing the necessary water changes to make your tank more fish friendly. Only a couple of days work but worth it for that the Angels will turn into later.

This is an excellent point being addressed. IMO, until you get the proper test kits, you really haven't got a proper clue as to what's taking place. You could bring your water to me and I'll tell you what's going on based off what it smells like. Now that last statement comes from someone that does WC's 50% every other day and 100% on Sunday. I keep fish that cost on average, about $150.00 each. I have 5 in one tank. I'm not trying to sound like a jerk but here's the real deal.

SLOW DOWN !!!! NOTHING GOOD WILL HAPPEN IF YOU RUSH THINGS. GET A LIQUID TEST KIT. CYCLE YOUR TANK. SLOW DOWN. DO NOT PUT YOUR FISH THRU UNNECESSARY DRAMA.

By trying to do the possible, you will create the unimaginable. If you relax, good things will come in the end. I've had my hands in the water for a very long time. I'm telling you what I learned the hard way.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

I keep my angel at 8.6 ph and have had him over a year. Best to just leave it alone. I would let your tank cycle before adding Angels, they can be hard to keep in the beginning but do great in a cycled tank. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom