Angels eating new Neon Tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newzpix

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
45 gal planted tank. Six Angels have been in the tank since they were juvies -- now full grown. Have had Neon Tetras in the tank up until last winter -- they all died of old age.

Just added 14 new ones last Saturday and noticed Sunday that only three were around.

Just added 25 more tonight and right away the Angels went hunting. So far I've only lost one Neon Tetra.

What can I do to prevent this? The Angels were raised with Neon Tetras, SAE, shrimp, etc. Now they seem to be violent.

Nothing really, even though they were raised with neons, the tank has not had any for awhile, so any new ones are fair game. It is a natural food source for them.

Yeah, Cardinal's. Had them in 75 gal tank with Angels a few years ago. Loved them.

I was not aware that Neons are a natural food source for Angels.

Yes, Neons are a natural food source. 25 is a lot to add at one time. Watch your water parameters closely over the next few days.

this i kind of like putting a family of elk in the wolf enclosure... natural prey and all that :?

Something to remember for many fish. If it is smaller and moves then it is meant to be eaten.

Lepomis said:
Something to remember for many fish. If it is smaller and moves then it is meant to be eaten.

yup, i had my tiger bard eat two mollies, it was pretty cool to watch, especially since the mollies were free!

Back
Top Bottom