ANGELS FIGHTING!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JulieB

Aquarium Advice Regular
Eek! My angles are fighting! 8O 8O 8O

Back story: I've got two angles, one male, one female. I've had the female for about 2 years, the male for about 1 year. After the initial figuring out who's boss period (consisting of the female chasing the male away) they've been friends swimming around together. About 6 months (give or take a few months) they spawned... but the eggs didn't make it though the night because I wasn't prepared.

Anyways, this morning as I was walking out the door to go to work, I peeked into the tank and saw my angles picking (rather violently) at each other's mouths. They would sometimes grab each other's mouths and hold on for a few seconds, then pull away. Then go back to picking again. They were being equally aggressive. I noticed that part of the female's pectoral fin (they are usually over 3 inches long) was about 1 1/2 inches long, and the rest of her fins look a little ragged. Their mouths are looking a little ragged, after the last grab and hold move, it looked like she was cut a little.

What is going on???? I don't have a quarantine tank set up so I couldn't separate them. I also don't have the tank's parameters as I was late for work and needed to leave asap. I haven't done a water change for about 2 weeks (slacking, I know!). But what would cause this sudden change in behavior? And what do I do to change it? Any help is much appreciated!

You could try rearranging the tank decor, but to me it sounds like you are going to have no choice but to rehome one of the fish. I am guessing she doesn't want to spawn and he does. My pair can get nippy once in a while but nothing violent like you are describing.

I am moving this to the cichlid area.

That makes sense. I've got an 18 gallon tank in the garage that I can set up tonight. Thanks for your advice!

So when I got home last night, the angels looked fine. They were a little ragged around the mouths, but no worse that yesterday morning. They stayed away from each other, but didn't fight any more last night. I guess they left each other alone during the day. So I didn't separate them... hopefully their fight is over...

Back
Top Bottom