angels & filter intakes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crazyred

Aquarium Advice Addict
What would cause an otherwise healthy looking angelfish to caught on the filter intake and die??? My sunset blusher was healthy as horse (seemingly), good appetite, swimming with energy and enthusiasm...in fact, he/she was looking really good this morning, and when I came home from work I couldn't find him/her. I did a search of the tank and found my beautiful little angel sucked up against the back of the filter intake on my Penguin 350! :( This is a very lightly stocked 55 gallon tank with 4 (now 3) angel fish and around 10 platies. Ammonia = 0, NO2 = 0, NO3 = 5, temp = 80 F, filtered with the Penguin 350 and the Eheim ECCO 2233. Are angelfish the type of fish that can be healthy, but find it difficult to swim away from the suction of a filter like that? If so, I need to do something to my filter before any other of my angels falls victim. Any ideas? I'm so sad......RIP Sunshine. :(

Usually a healthy fish will not get caught in a filter intake. You could put a sponge over the intake if you are worried the current is too strong.

I would think that a healthy angel would be able to avoid the filter intake. However, if you want to add some insurance, buy an Aqua Clear foam insert, not sure which size would be best; probably a 150 or 200. Cut a couple of slits in from the end, in the form of an X, and slip over the fiter intake. That will reduce the suction by distributing it, without seriously reducing the flow. It will have to be cleaned periodically, as it is now a prefilter. When you notice the flow dropping slightly, remove it and squeeze it clean in tank water. The upside is that you will have less maintenance to do on the main filter.

There's also the AquaClears Quick Filter Replacement Cartrige. Here's the link. You don't need the Quick Filter itself, but the cartrige inside. If you let us know how big the intake is, I will let you know if it will fit over the top. I did it with the filter in my 10G breeder tank, and I know it will fit the intakes on my XP2 and XP3 as well. But here's the link anyways.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=4638&N=2004+113040

What the cartriges are is a fine microfilter pad that goes around a plastic center, which comes with the quick filter, then the whole thing goes inside the quick filter. But you won't need the whole unit if you just want something to go over the intake.

Edit:
I just looked it up. It won't fit the Penguin 350 intake. It's best to use the sponge method described above.

I think I will try the sponge deal...that angel seemed so healthy. I loved that fish, it was my favorite angel.....this sucks! Thanks for the ideas y'all. This will also help keep the plant goop out of the filter.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom