Angry at pet shop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ollymoran

Aquarium Advice Activist
Have just bought 2 goldfish to add to my goldfish tank from pets at home. got them home and left them floating in the bag so they could climate with the tank water then 20 mins later let them out. 2 hours later Come back to check them over and one of them is hardly swimming and is floating a lot compared to the other goldie. 3 hours later the fish is dead. Not happy at all by this as had the fish a short time. There must of been something wrong with it as my other fish and the other fish i got are fine and making friends with the others.

Has anyone on here had problems with pets at home? They must of known there was something wrong with the fish when they gave it to me for it to die within 3 hours. Don't know weather to get another fish or my money back.

What do you reckon people?

I believe you are at fault. You need to acclimate. Matching temperature is not enough. What are your tank's water parameters?

Parameters, tank size, temperature and exact stock will definitely help us to help you better!

ammo 0, nitrite 0, nitrates 20, its a 64 l tank only have 3 small goldies in it. step daughter said that she thought it looked ill when it was in their tank at the shop. I don't think my tank has anything in it that would instantly Kill it as I have had my other goldies for ages with no problem.

Parameters, tank size, temperature and exact stock will definitely help us to help you better!

if it was something in MY tank the other fish would be dead as well as I bought them as a pair.

When you get new fish you need to let them slowly get used to your water. You have to do a little more than just float the bag. The water conditions in their tank in the store may have been way different than your tanks water. When you bring fish home dump out half the water in the bag. Take a turkey baster and suck up a little water from your tank and slowly add it to the bag. Do this every 15 minutes until the water in the bag is doubled. Take about 2 hours to do this. Then net the fish out of the bag and put them in your tank. Do not add the water from the bag because it could have bad stuff in it like parasites.

if it was something in MY tank the other fish would be dead as well as I bought them as a pair.

Ever hear the saying dont put a frog in boiling water. Your fish have been in there and may have gotten use to ph levels, nitrates or oxygen level. Taking them from one water type to another can be rough on them.

Its best to put them in a bucket and use an air hose with a knot it as a driping iv sort of speak. After about 1 hour the amount of water they were in from the fish store should have doubled. This allows them to slowly get used to it and helps allot to reduce any kind of shock.

Additionally stress may have been a factor. Its important to know how sitting in a pet store getting snatched up and driving home will stress them and dropping into a new tank may have been the final stress straw to break them.

Not ruling out an lfs selling a sick fish just throwing other ideas out there for future use.

ammo 0, nitrite 0, nitrates 20, its a 64 l tank only have 3 small goldies in it. step daughter said that she thought it looked ill when it was in their tank at the shop. I don't think my tank has anything in it that would instantly Kill it as I have had my other goldies for ages with no problem.

What are you testing your water with (liquid or strips)? What is your ph/kh/gh? Unless you are changing 100% of the water daily, I find it very difficult to believe these numbers are accurate with your present stock.

Unfortunately, the store you mentioned has an unsavory reputation for lacking any knowledge in goldfish or their care. 64l is only about 15g and this honestly is not big enough for a single goldfish, let alone 3 goldfish plus 2 new ones you tried to add. Please take some time to read the article posted below for more information on fancies and their care. Do not hesitate to ask any questions!

http://www.myaquariumclub.com/goldfish-101-11174823.html

If you have an issue with goldfish health, it will help if you can post a new question with your specific information in Unhealthy Fish so you can get help for your situation. :)

I was simply questioning whether or not the fish died from swim bladder disease.

If a fish does not look healthy in the store it is best to choose a different fish.

I have to say, this seems like one you have to chalk up to a learning experience. Pets at Home will likely replace the fish for you, but as others have mentioned, your tank is to small for even one goldfish. I would suggest you return all of them and choose a more properly sized fish for your tank.

I believe you are at fault. You need to acclimate. Matching temperature is not enough. What are your tank's water parameters?

You are being rude. If he/she is a first time fish keeper you can and will make mistakes. So you've never made mistakes in the past then?

Back to the OP, Pets at home are VERY bad for advice, to them cycling a tank is leaving it for 3 days and that's it. I have gone as far as reporting my local store to head office for their bad care and for selling me diseased fish, advice and snotty attitudes to customers.

I went in the other day and told them right out I had reported them and the answer I got back was "well we know how to look after the fish and we are very knowledgeable" looks like it doesn't it? :rolleyes:

I believe we live and learn, you've learned to never ever listen to pet stores such as pets at home, do research, go to forums and you'll be fine. Good luck.

You are being rude. If he/she is a first time fish keeper you can and will make mistakes. So you've never made mistakes in the past then?

Back to the OP, Pets at home are VERY bad for advice, to them cycling a tank is leaving it for 3 days and that's it. I have gone as far as reporting my local store to head office for their bad care and for selling me diseased fish, advice and snotty attitudes to customers.

I went in the other day and told them right out I had reported them and the answer I got back was "well we know how to look after the fish and we are very knowledgeable" looks like it doesn't it? :rolleyes:

I believe we live and learn, you've learned to never ever listen to pet stores such as pets at home, do research, go to forums and you'll be fine. Good luck.

But how about helping and giving advice instead of being all ITS YOUR FAULT. That's only going to make people feel worse or guilty of genuine mistakes.

That post wasn't rude, and it wasn't saying "ITS YOUR FAULT". herpmommy was just saying that it was the OP's fault (most likely), not the store. Yes, they could have been less direct, but sometimes you need to take things with a grain of salt. As far as making mistakes go, yes, we've all made mistakes, none of us was born a veteran at anything. But just because herpmommy has made a mistake before (although probably not many) it doesn't mean they can't call someone else out and tell them what they are doing wrong and that they made a mistake. Don't act like they just said "YOUR WRONG, IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT, YOU MADE A TERRIBLE, STUPID MISTAKE!" They were simply saying that the OP might have made a mistake, and should not blame the store so quickly.

This is getting pretty heated pretty quick and in my opinion the original poster is here looking for advice moving forward. The arguments over personal opinions is not informative in helping the original poster with their problems.

We should circle back to advising so the poster may get the advice they came here for.

Have just bought 2 goldfish to add to my goldfish tank from pets at home. got them home and left them floating in the bag so they could climate with the tank water then 20 mins later let them out. 2 hours later Come back to check them over and one of them is hardly swimming and is floating a lot compared to the other goldie. 3 hours later the fish is dead. Not happy at all by this as had the fish a short time. There must of been something wrong with it as my other fish and the other fish i got are fine and making friends with the others.

Has anyone on here had problems with pets at home? They must of known there was something wrong with the fish when they gave it to me for it to die within 3 hours. Don't know weather to get another fish or my money back.

What do you reckon people?

No offence but you are over reacting to a dead gold fish. Unless it was a expensive fancys than that is no biggy. If we are talking 5-10$ than just get a new one and drip acclimate it next time

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom