Anna's 50 gallon Journal!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oohitsae

Aquarium Advice Addict
So, I just got a 50 gallon tank the other day and now I'm working on figuring out what exactly I'd like to do with it.

so far my plans are::
Tropical community with atleast a bristlenose pleco or two, and possible a couple German blue rams
Soil with sand cap
aquaclear 110 (unless there are better suggestions that are in the same price range or cheaper)
T5HO lighting -- want it to be high light
Co2 injected, probably a paintball system.

And that's my entire plan so far!

It's a second hand tank so I'm going to re-seal and do a weeks worth of a leak test after that... while I'm doing that I'm really going to have to look into how soon my boyfriend and I plan on moving out, if it's going to be in the next few months then I'll just wait till after to get it all set up instead of having to tear it all down again. But atleast that'll give me more time to plan everything out!!

I'm clueless on what type of plants and scape I want to do yet. I definitely want it to be heavily planted with an overgrown jungle type feel if that makes sense?

suggestions, help, advice - all is welcome!

Thanks!

For lighting, I love the T5HO blue lighting - just my opinion :)

German Blue Rams are a great fish to pick!!

I don't have much to suggest, ik someone else will be able to help you further. Id check out youtube or planted tanks on the pictures section of this website, theyre are some amazing planted tanks out there!

Mostly wanted to bump this up! Good luck and congrats!! :popcorn:

what do you mean by blue lighting? is that a brand?

Yeah, I have rams in each of my other tanks above 10 gallons, so why not add a pair or two to the 50. I think they are adorable, but I can't add them till the tanks been up and running for quite a while, so who knows, maybe by then things will take a different direction.

Been thinking about this tank a bit further I definitely want it to look kind of overgrown, yet well scaped at the same time, hard to describe...been checking pictures and youtube videos to see if I can find one similar to what I'd like, but haven't found much yet...still have a while though!

As for the stocking list
1 pair BNP, probably my calicos
1-2 pair of either german blue rams and/or golds
5-8 Neon or Rummynose tetras
5-8 cory's - want something thats somewhat uncommon. not sterbai, peppered, panda, albino, etc.
I don't know what I want to do as my centerpiece fish, but I know I definitely want something a bit larger than the rest yet peaceful.

No not a brand it just has a blue colored light. I found mine on eBay. Up to you though.

Ooh, I can't do blue because it wouldnt be in the right spectrum to grow plants, well, I highly doubt it'd be anyways.

It would be cool to get a blue moonlight or something at night so I don't feeel the need to keep the daylights on too long like normal though.

Maybe your right, but on my 45 is where i have it n my light is 72 watt and I have java moss and fern and Anubas nana and a peacock fern that grow fine. But moonlights would be cool!

For lunar lights, this is the beanyst solution IMO: Aquarium LED Lights: Current USA TrueLumen LED Lunar Lights

You can daisy chain them and since they're independent of the fixture, you can have them on a timer. I love that you can mix the white/blue to get a more natural moonlight look.

thanks!
definitely look interesting, I'll have to read some more about them and reviews, but for the price, seems like they'll be hard to beat

Back
Top Bottom