Another algae question....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NYYFan19801

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Sorry for yet another algae question, but this one is not one I found while searching, though I partially found the answer! So I have a fairly heavily planted tank which recently had an outbreak of green algae, after reading and testing, I found out both my phosphate and nitrate levels were way too low. So I swiped some KNO3 and KH2PO4 from my lab and I'm going to be starting to dose according to a wonderful spreadsheet I found on here that was posted years ago (the EI forumula I suppose). My question is, should I do a blackout first to kill all the algae and then start dosing? Or start dosing and that will rid the algae on its own. Thanks!

I would do as much manual removal as possible, and start dosing. It shouldn't make things worse. You may get rid of most of it without a blackout if the plants start out-competing the algae for nutrients. If it doesn't work you can always go back and do a black out.

Back
Top Bottom