Another bad start

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Engel

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok, so I posted last night with what seems to be a pretty common bad/ignorant start story. I am still waiting on my API test kit (ordered a few days ago, and since I did not cycle first, and I have no ammonia test I am doing daily water changes till I know where I stand. The fish seem to be doing ok so far. No hanging out on the bottom, or funky depressed coloring among the 6 red minor tetras, and four angels.
The cory cats, however, do stay huddled in the corner, or hiding under the pagoda I have in there, and this is not typical of the very active ones I have at work, but maybe this is the difference between green and albinos?
The only thing I can do at this point is keep up with the water changes, but I have two questions:
-Will 50% water changes every day stress them out? The tetras chase me and the vacuum. The angels could care less, except to move off if I am too close. The cories hide.
-Do I need to vacuum the gravel daily or just suck out water from the bottom? I feel like it is the vacuuming that really disturbs everyone!

Don't gravel vac every day, you are trying to build good bacteria. Vacuum 1/2 the gravel once or twice a week, alternating sides.
My emerald corys hid for about 2 months, then they started getting a little more daring, but they would still hide when I went near the tank. They did love to chase the vacuum though.
You can do as many water changes as needed, ammonia and nitrites are more stressful. ;)

Back
Top Bottom