Another BioWheel question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marconis

Aquarium Advice Addict
When my cycle is complete, I am looking to remove the wheel because it causes way too much noise even when the water level is high (water dripping onto plastic).

Just yesterday, each filter cartridge had been in for two weeks. I am planning on doing as follows in the future and want to know if it is okay for bacteria.

On week three (after inserting new filter media) , I'd take out one filter media, then insert the new one. The following week, take out the four week old one and insert a new one. After that I would just keep repeating, and I am going to make a maintenance schedule so I can keep track of which was changed. Is this okay for bacteria build up and everything?

I used to alternate which filter media was replaced monthly. My logic was that way I always kept half my bacterial colony. Tanks always seemed to do fine with that. Now I tend to just rinse out the foam with water changes (in tank water) and not replace it at all unless it looks awful.

If you're planning to remove the wheel, I think I'd take it out now and cycle on what's going to remain in the tank. I know there's a lot of ... we'll say mixed opinions about the effectiveness of a bio-wheel, but if you're not going to keep it, why allow it stay now. Let the bacteria grow on the things that are going to stay in the tank, that way you don't risk *potentially* removing a large quantity of what you want to keep.

I think I will disagree with you here neilan. I think at this point of the cycle, give the little guys all the places they can find to grow. In some ways the biowheel is the most hospitable place in the tank to grow. The bacteria need oxygen to grow and where will they get more than on that wheel that spends half it's time out of the water in the air?

I would leave it as it is until the tank is cycled.

My $.02

Lol but if I take it out now I am scared that a lot will be removed and make my cycle take even longer.

When I pulled those bags of gravel from my cycle and it set me back, I asked this question but noone really chimed in on it. I suspect it was buried in a lot of questions and got overlooked, but anyway.

Here's my reasoning on this one. By all means, correct me if I'm off base, this is just the conclusion that I've come to with my limited knowledge in this arena.

The purpose of the FC is to establish a butt-load (yes, that's a precise measurement) of the good bacteria in your tank so that:
1) The fish don't have to suffer
2) You can fully stock without fear all at once

Now, for the sake of this conversation let's say that all the bacteria Marconis is growing is on that bio-wheel. I know that's extreme, but it's an illistration. If he continues to cycle with it in and finishes, then removes the wheel, there's no bacteria left. What's the point? The tank's no better off than filling it from the tap.

Now I realize, obviously, that its not all on the wheel, but in theory there could be a significant amount. I would think that if he concludes his cycle with the wheel, then removes it, there's high potential for at least mini-cycle when he does this.

Which is what led me to my comment, as well as the decision I made on my tank. Using seed material is good to get things rolling, but the purpose of cycling is to establish the tank that will hold the fish ultimately. If the bio-wheel in this case isn't going to be there to support his load when he adds fish, shouldn't it be removed now, or at some point prior to completing his cycle, so that the permanent contents of the tank house the necessary load of bacteria?

I understand seeding, but considering the small load of those little fish he had for a week, I don't think that even comes into play here.

Yes, I agree that if he removes it now it will more than likely increase the amount of time on his cycle, and removing it right now may not be the right answer. I just don't know that I would consider the tank cycled if he can convert a bunch of ammonia all the way to NO3 in 24 hours with the wheel, and then he removes it.

Seriously, Please tell me if I'm off in left field here, cuz I really don't know, these are just the assumptions I came to in my mind. I am seriously interested in hearing your thoughts on this one.

Now that I've typed that all up and reread it to make sure it made sense, I guess it's really not much different than changing your filter every month, huh?

Sorry Marconis, didn't mean to run your thread off on a tangent.

I agree with Ks, if you can adjust the spray bar to reduce the noise I'd do it. Plus, as the tank is in your room you will get used to having the noise within a couple of weeks. I find the sound of the water soothing.
The biowheel is a really nice feature and it keeps the oxy levels up.
I have a 35 hex that had 4 fat goldfish in it (until my Bubble Eye died last week) and while the tank was overstocked, it was always sparkling and within good parameters as far as the tests went. I didn't have any trouble until I added the Pearlscale (traded for him) and he introduced Ick into the tank...I digress, that's another matter.
When the tank is cycled, raise your water levels up and if you adjust the spray bar (in my case I have it hitting the wheel as low as it will go), and see how you like it then. As long as I've had fish, the bio-wheel has meant alot less work for me as far as adjusting water parameters. I started with an Aquaclear and went to the bio-wheel. NO GOING BACK! Lol!
I am LUVIN the canister filter too...very nice!!!
Whatever you decide, good luck!

Back
Top Bottom