Another Cannister question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SJSobczyk

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys,

First post here and i wanted to say i love the site!

Now my real question is........... I currently have a 75 gallon FOWLR tank (Dogface puffer and a yellow tang, might add a smaller fish or 2 in the next couple of months) with a fluval 404 cannister filter. The fluval keeps on getting clogged pretty frequently and its such a pain in the *ss to clean. I am considering getting an Eheim wet/dry 2227, would i notice a difference with water clarity etc? What are the benefits behind it? Or would you recommend another product out there? I dont have the time to install a sump etc so i am looking for an easier solution!

Thanks for your help
SJS

how many pound of live rock?
If you have at least 80lbs of LR, I'd ditch the canister and go with several large powerheads. The canister should only be used for circulation and carbon media anyhow. If you have sponges in it, you're only fueling nitrate levels in the tank.

No its only about 50 pounds of LR. In my cannister i have the 2 stages of bio max, and one stage of carbon. I recently removed the carbon as i have heard it is prone to leeching phosphates. Should i put it back in? So many different opinions about this........

So basically a eheim 2227 is a waste of time and money for me?

Thanks
SJS

I would invest the money in more LR. Either that or a good skimmer if you don't already have one. I bought a 404 and returned it cuz it was pretty much useless to me. DOH! :x

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom