Another Cycle Question-- No NitrItes but NitrAtes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
PaulG5372 said:
pH of aquarium is at 8.0.

pH of tap water is 7.4

Ammonia is 3 ppm
Nitrites are 0 ppm
Nitrates have climbed to 30 ppm or so. That **** test is hard to read.

Aquarium pH seems a little high?

Its on the upper end of Ph.. but its not too high. My local water is 8.2-8.4

I figured the alkalinity was fine when I saw the high pH. I'm trying to think of any other possible problems.

If my ammonia was the wrong type and had surfactants it would have more than just the ordinary surface bubbles when shaken right?

Maybe a PWC would be a good idea if the ammonia level is still stalled tomorrow?

How would used filters and the bacteria hold up in the mail? Lol

jetajockey said:
Surprisingly well if it's not exposed to any temperature extremes.

Hmmm. Now just to find someone. Lol. I'm totally willing to pay shipping costs if anyone is willing, but now I sound desperate lol.

PaulG5372 said:
Hmmm. Now just to find someone. Lol. I'm totally willing to pay shipping costs if anyone is willing, but now I sound desperate lol.

Wish I had some extra to give. You can try posting a want ad in the classifieds section of the site :)

Just ordered one of the active 4 inch MAG sponges, I hope the little guys survive the trip and work!

I'll have to watch that then, thanks! I just hope its not too ugly in my tank lol! Just hooks too an air line and sits on the side right? I assume the bacteria will eventually make it onto my bio-wheel.

The mag type uses a strong magnet to affix the filter to the tank glass. I'd run it for a few weeks after you get actual fish stock in there. My experience with fishless cycling is limited. I think by the time someone learns the ins and outs of the nitrogen cycle they can successfully manipulate a fish in cycle safely by the use of cycled media, frequent testing, water changes, or plants, or a combination of the above.

Fishless cycling looks good on paper and makes for a great lesson in patience, but its just not something often seen among those with dozens of tanks.

If I fishless cycled each of the tanks I've set up since february I would have put at least 2 api master kit employees children through college.

Ugh I feel a writeup coming on.

jetajockey said:
The mag type uses a strong magnet to affix the filter to the tank glass. I'd run it for a few weeks after you get actual fish stock in there. My experience with fishless cycling is limited. I think by the time someone learns the ins and outs of the nitrogen cycle they can successfully manipulate a fish in cycle safely by the use of cycled media, frequent testing, water changes, or plants, or a combination of the above.

Fishless cycling looks good on paper and makes for a great lesson in patience, but its just not something often seen among those with dozens of tanks.

If I fishless cycled each of the tanks I've set up since february I would have put at least 2 api master kit employees children through college.

Ugh I feel a writeup coming on.

Hahaha! True, but the great thing with having numerous tanks is all the yummy filter media you can move over and basically insta-cycle a new set up :)

So will one of these active sponges work with fishless cycling or do you have to do fish in? Seems like they would be ok with fishless cycling as the bacteria would still have that source of ammonia.

PaulG5372 said:
So will one of these active sponges work with fishless cycling or do you have to do fish in? Seems like they would be ok with fishless cycling as the bacteria would still have that source of ammonia.

Yep, same principle. The only difference between a bottle of ammo and a fish during a cycle is...the fish is alive.

Fishless cycling looks good on paper and makes for a great lesson in patience, but its just not something often seen among those with dozens of tanks

Once you have cycled one tank, then just run an extra filter on that tank to start the next one. I always have an extra filter on one of my tanks. When I get a new tank or have to set up a qt, I just move the filter to the new tank, fill it with dechlored water and put the fish in. Good to go! You should only have to fishless cycle one tank. And not even one if you have enough friends with tanks!

I'm well aware of how it works, but it's really putting a lot of faith in some bacteria laden filter media, isn't it?

Putting used fillter media into a new tank along with fish should still be considered fish-in cycling since it still takes some time for the bacterial colony to truly get established in the tank, although often times there isn't any spikes to speak of, but it depends on a lot of factors and needs to be kept in check. Used filter media doesn't guarantee anything, I've had some work great, and some not so much.

If putting the fish into an uncycled tank is as dangerous as it's made out to be then on additional tanks why wouldn't people just do fishless cycles with swapped media to make sure the water is "safe"?

Just pointing out how fish-in cycling has been unnecessarily demonized all over this forum. Yes, ammonia and nitrite poisoning are bad, but not an inevitability if you fish-in cycle.

Good luck with the sponge filter! I ordered one from them too and installed it a few weeks ago (and yes it does look hideous lol), but it didn't seem to help me, although my tank is an anomaly and apparently resistant to bacteria lol Good luck!

I recall that when I spoke to Steve at angelsplus that he recommended using the active filter with fish-in applications over ammonia only applications. I asked him why and iirc he said that there are some things that are released by actual waste and living animals that can't be replicated by ammonia alone. He didn't go into detail so I don't know what he meant specifically. I do know that some people I've spoken with that have done fishless cycling have added some kind of organic matter to the tank along with the ammonia and it seemed to help the process. The exact science behind it, I've no idea and no means to test it so it'd be total conjecture from my end.

Got the active sponge today and it's now in the tank. There is still a little bit of ammonia in the tank so I will see if it is able to take care of that. Assuming it will take a few days to show any signs? Can't get fish till monday at the earliest anyway.

Also noticed the airlines in the water have a slimy film on them. Possibly the bacteria. Ammonia was still dropping but very slowly.

Will see how the active sponge works

Back
Top Bottom