Another Cycle Question-- No NitrItes but NitrAtes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Reading this thread helped me a bunch. Thanks Paul, eco, and library and everyone else. I'm new to AA. Unfortunately I fell under the bacteria in a bottle pyramid scheme. Unfortunately however, I was given quite a few fish the day I set up my tank as a starter gift. I know, this is horrible, I'm trying to keep all the fish alive cause I really like them alot, but am at a loss. There have been some casualties already, but the rest seem relatively happy. I have a 50gal tank and I'm currently stocking.

1x Rainbow Shark
5x Rosy Barbs (one is sick)
1x GSP (in the process of getting another tank to put him in, he was a gift and is starting to harass other fish and start a salt or brackish tank in the meantime)
6x Flame Tetras
3x Black Mollies (2x Harp Tailed)
1x Black Ghost Knifefish

The tank is going on it's third week. I got an API testing Kit and I'm currently testing

NH3 between .5ppm and 1ppm (it kills me that the fish are being exposed to so much NH3)
Nitrites at 0ppm
Nitrates between 10ppm to 20ppm

I'm attributing this to the Tetra bacteria in a bottle recommended at the pet store. Im constantly doing PWC to lower the ammonia level, but there seems to be little to no progress. Will ordering an active sponge help? Will I kill the fish? What can I do? I really care about the fish and have grown attached to the rainbow shark, the GSP, and the Knifefish in particular. What can I do?

Hi reversemarcosis, welcome to the site :)

First thing, if you could start a new thread listing the same info as here either in the general discussion or getting started section...more people will be able to see it and be able to help out. Also include your tank size (I might have just missed it).

The key is going to be water changes. Lots and lots and lots of water changes. Do whatever you must to keep the ammonia below .25. You may have to do several pwc's per day to accomplish this...but it's necessary to keep your fish from suffering. A big bottle of Seahem Prime will help as well.

Good move re-homing the puffer, in fact, try to return as many as possible because unless you have a very large tank...you have a very heavy bio-load you're trying to cycle with.

We'll be happy to help and keep up with your progress, but I'd start a new thread about it. You can just copy and paste what you posted above if you'd like :)

Update: Some pictures finally!!! Tank is fully stocked, aside from some RCS if I can ever find them!

I think my favorite fish are my blue dwarf gouramis, so fun to watch!

Attachments

• IMG_3887.jpg
    IMG_3887.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_3907.jpg
    IMG_3907.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_3910.jpg
    IMG_3910.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_3888.jpg
    IMG_3888.jpg