Another filter question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lol I have a polar blue parrot and he does the same, his name is Huey and he’s hilarious. He’s in there with a Dempsey, firemouth, and jewel and he’s the boss

I wish I had known of polar blues before my wife bought two juvenile blood reds. We call my BR Lord Mickey for the same reason. He's about 9in long with a fat, rocky face. He helped socialize and rehab our rescue pacu. I'll always love and indulge mickey for his efforts.

I wish I had known of polar blues before my wife bought two juvenile blood reds. We call my BR Lord Mickey for the same reason. He's about 9in long with a fat, rocky face. He helped socialize and rehab our rescue pacu. I'll always love and indulge mickey for his efforts.
Lol, they are so ugly I can't help but like them. My wife loves them, she likes the ugly or odd shaped fish, lol

Yes I actually just did it for the first time a few days ago. I soaked in a 1:1 water to all purpose bleach mix for 24 hours. Rinse it thoroughly and then soak it in clean water and 1-2 caps of Seachem Prime for another 8 hours, rinse and it’s good to go. It has worked great since. I love seachem products as well I use stability, prime, matrix and Purigen.

Thanks for the the detailed instructions, Doctor! :brows: I'll give Purigen another go. Have you tried Matrix Carbon or Renew? I went to Renew after I had a fish express the awful lateral line disease. I had no reason to blame it on MC since he was an old fish that I adopted. I didn't want to take the chance of another occurrence of LLD.

I have not tried either of those. I’ve read that if I take Purigen out the floss pads will have to take on what the Purigen did. Good thing is Purigen can be regenerated up to 10 times and matrix never has to be replaced. I had a bad case of new tank syndrome and ich at the same time a couple months back and the seachem products balanced out my tank while I was treating for the ich

Perhaps this question is better asked in another forum, but I've yet to have a case of ich. Is it as horrid as I've heard? If you ever decide to go carbon, try Seachem Renew. It's adsorptive as Matrix carbon without many potential downsides of carbon. And it's cheaper too!

I will keep that in mind, ich wasn’t as bad as the new tank syndrome, lost 6 of 11 fish from that. Ich looks worse than it is unless it gets into their gills then it’s bad. My jewel, Kenyi, and vestuvus and Dempsey were the only 4 original fish to survive both. I just turned up the temp to 86, did water changes every other day, and laid a whole bunch of salt down in there. Ich hate salt and heat. Took about two weeks and it was gone.

Yeah, I had ich in my African tank. Took awhile to clear it up, but i didn't lose any fish. At least it's beatable if caught soon. Very easy to transfer to other tanks tho

I will keep that in mind, ich wasn’t as bad as the new tank syndrome, lost 6 of 11 fish from that. Ich looks worse than it is unless it gets into their gills then it’s bad. My jewel, Kenyi, and vestuvus and Dempsey were the only 4 original fish to survive both. I just turned up the temp to 86, did water changes every other day, and laid a whole bunch of salt down in there. Ich hate salt and heat. Took about two weeks and it was gone.

Thank you for the prep. 1 thing less to haunt me dreams. :angel:

Yes agreed, I try to buy from private breeders as often as possible, there are a few one off stores that are clean and maintain their tanks. But you can go into any Petsmart and a good percentage of their tanks will have fish covered in ich. What gets me is they let the fish die, never treat the tank, and then stick more fish in an infected tank.

Yes agreed, I try to buy from private breeders as often as possible, there are a few one off stores that are clean and maintain their tanks. But you can go into any Petsmart and a good percentage of their tanks will have fish covered in ich. What gets me is they let the fish die, never treat the tank, and then stick more fish in an infected tank.
And to add to this, I've seen many, many lfs not named pet anything, lol, with ich covered fish. If a lfs doesn't have at least 1 or 2 tanks marked NFS, for treatment, then I don't buy there. I don't expect all tanks to be perfect, illness happens and fish come from the breeder with stuff, but if they don't pay enough attention to catch it, (or flat out choose to ignore it), i move on

And their retail tanks seem to get increasingly small. I went to Petsmart to buy a couple of nerites. Amazingly the sales girl started to dig through substrate looking for some. I immediately knew I was in the wrong place and that a new supplier was in order.

Same, hey do either of you gentlemen have any experience polishing glass? I bought some glass polish for this 50 gallon I bought yesterday because it needs it bad, skeptical though.

Yea it’s cerium oxide, hopefully it works, I got this fully intact 50 gallon for $20 but it has some salt damage on the outside. Hoping this stuff will work

Nope, but I think it's an admirable skill. It would be like cooking turkey's. I've burned myself so much that I prepare side-dishes only now. Glass work seems fun but I'd just be asking for it. ⛑

Back
Top Bottom