another hitchhiker....what the heck is it, a shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

talloulou

Aquarium Advice Addict
Today when I woke up I found this guy stuck to the filter but moving like it was trying to get away from the filer. Looks like a shrimp? I netted it and moved it off the filter over towards the live rock where it moved around until it found a crevice to go into. Is it a shrimp? Should I keep it or take it out? Also when I woke up today my clam was nowhere to be found? It must have went and hid under a rock? Fishless cycling may not be so boring if new stuff keeps cropping up each day.

Oh and should I bother trying to feed this shrimp or clam?

Oh I also forgot to mention there are two tiny tiny snails climbing up the glass of my tank as well? Too tiny to get their picture.....but should I take em out or keep em? And last night we heard a noise, the tank is in our bedroom, sounded like something moved in the tank. There's no way this shrimp thing could have made the noise, maybe the clam bumped the glass? But the clam is very tiny as well so I will keep my eyes out for the monster that went bump in the night.

That's the wierdest shrimp I've ever seen. At first I thought it was just a molt. lol I wouldn't do anything special for the clam. Hard to say what the snails were. Can you give a description? Color of shell, foot, etc?

Moving this to the SW ID forum.

The star looks like a type of cushion star. Asterina sp. Not something you want in the tank if you have sps corals but they are ok in a fo system. It feeds off micro algeas, reproduces by dropping limbs and only gets about the size of a nickel.

The shrimp is freaking weird looking.....transparent too. The snails are soooo tiny they just look like specks on the glass till you see them move. They look yellowish.

Fascinating! Well the shrimp is still alive.....though the tank is just cycling with live rock. Hopefully he can find stuff to eat in the live rock....he has a little crevice that he lives in and only comes out once in awhile. I wonder if I drop some food in the tank?

hey here is another thought add moon light effect most likley a night eater. I add moonlighting to my tank and I love it love to sit watch some late night tv light off and moon lighting on the fish love it.. only cost me about 35 bucks well worth it..

Back
Top Bottom