Another lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmcpeek

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 225 FOWLR that I want to make a reef. 72x24x30" high

I have 4 VHO 160 watt bulbs (two blue two white)

I want to add MH's and was wondering if I should go with 3 250 watt or 4 400 watt bulbs. (10k bulbs)

Also when I add the mh's should I make all my vho's blue or leave them the way they are?

If I go with the 250 watt ones am I limiting what hard corals I can keep?

I'd go with the 250's simply for the heating issue. With that amount of light you should be able to keep whatever you want. 6.1 watts per gallon is plenty. The 400 watt bulbs are used for deeper tanks, however you could use them with a 30 inch tank, again your heating problem is going to be worse. I have a 150 tank and I'm about to add 3 250 watt bulbs myself with 440 watts of vho. You will need to plan on adding fans and then still possably a chiller. I would say with 3 400 watt bulbs the chiller would be a must. Just research as much as you can like I have and make a decision you can live with due to the fact of not wanting to redo anything.
It will also depend on if your canopy is enclosed or open on the top as for as the heating goes.

I have 2 ice cap 4" fans already. I agree with not wanting to have to redo anything. Thanks for the info.

TMC,

If you go with the coralvue10k's like we talked about they are a touch blue so i would leave your VHO'S like they are to balance it out. With 250's you will not be limited. You have to consider most stony corals are not on the sandbed and actually up on the rock which cuts the distance the light has to travel down even more. The basic rule is that 400 watters are needed for anything over 36" deep.

Thanks all.

Darin, I will be in touch in the next week or so to place the order.

Back
Top Bottom