another new pleco. parasite med?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well this morning it doesn't look like he has touched his food :?
He is now sitting on the suction cap of the sponge filter.

ewwww.....
I found slimy coating alover the heater. it looked like a jeelyfish had encasec itself over the heater, and it was like a white bag over the suction caps. I am doing a pwc when I get home. He is still alive and getting more adventurous everyday. However he likes to sit on the filter sponge mostly.

I am trying peas tonight. The problem with the brocolli was that the pleco wouldn't go near it. How can I introduce the pleco to the food?

You're tiny pleco is probably eating at night blucat. If you've noticed that it's become a poop factory it must be eating, right? :wink:

Don't leave any uneaten food (be it broccoli or algae wafers), in the tank for more than 24 hours.

Update: Pleco has attempted to eat the pea, wrestling aorund with it and rasping at it. I think it is a bit too big, I don't know if the pleco actually ate any of it. He now spends the whole day out the front of the tank. And the slime is disgusting getting worse.

Yea for the pea! Its not too big. As long as you took off the outer shell, it will be fine. My pleco used to love broccoli but now he wont touch it. Don't forget about the algae wafers, he will probably like those too. I don't know what to say about the slime. Are you adding anything to the water besides dechlor?

Not snail eggs. Oh well, i had to take the peas out. I might try put a tiny tiny slice of pea in there tonight.

About the slime, my mums fihsless cycling betta has it too! The strangest thing is is that it only ever builds up on the top of the heater and on the suction cap. I am adding stress coat, dechlor, cycle product and stress zyme. I often see the pleco on the slime so i wonder if he is eating it or producing it?

Well here is a theory of the only info about slime I have managed to googlize:
When a fish is put into alkaline water when it is used to more acidic water, or if the water is has become unusually alkaline, it produces lots of slime. This slime is actually a colony of beneficial bacteria, that help neutralise alkalinity and this bacteria is also the same as the bacteria which breaks down ammonia. The fish therefore is producing this bacteria so it can make its environment more favourable to itself by making the water less alkaline. This slime is also a fish's way to deal with ammonia.

my ammonia is Zero so it could be that the fish is making slime to make the water more acidic. As the fish was only just ordered in at the lfs (prolly spent only a day there) it might have previously been living in more acidic water. However mums tank has thie same slime too yet there is not fish in there?

internal parasites are known to cause the long white poo thing.. keep an eye out for other possible symptoms, or off behavior.

in addition to raised temps and salt, I believe i will need a medication for internal parasites.

Here is what i can find available that doesn't cost $100:
STERAZIN is used to control of gill and body parasites which cause fish to flick when no symptoms are visible to the unaided eye. STERAZIN will also aid the control of internal parasites such as Round Worm, Thread Worm, and Intestinal Worm. In order to destroy the parasites in all stages of their life cycle you will need to use the product on days 1, 3, 6, 8 and 10. STERAZIN may also be used to aid the sterilisation of aquatic plants and is highly biodegradable.

Promethyasul: Aquarium Medication for the treatment of Bacterial , Fungal & Parasitic Diseases.

Aqua Master Para-Cide: Para-Cide controls external fish parasites such as Anchor worm (lemea sp.), Skin & Gill Flukes (dactylogyrids and gyrodactylids) and Fish Lice (argulus sp.) in fresh and saltwater aquariums. Does not aid in the treatment of bacterial and viral infections

Would any of these works

Intesinal paracites (flagillates not worms) need Metro. The brand name in Australia is Flagyl. You need to get it from a vet. I had H.E."double chopstix" time trying to convice the vet I needed it. Eventually he did his research and sold me some. It it very $$$$$ and I only used it coz I had discus to be honest. The pain in the hip packet was great. But I was treating a 326 litre tank. A smaller tank would be easier to treat. If you have ahospital tank take the fish out and treat it in there.

If you get metro you will need top dose daily and do 40% pwc's before dosing. Your temp. should be higher than 30 degrees C too.

I am calling the lfs today and telling them that I bought a fish that was more than the normal price yet it is only a baby, and that i bought a diseased fish from them. I will ask them for compensation in the form of refund, exchange, or free meds.

Back
Top Bottom