Another question about my fish stock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Personally, I think you have too many fish. If it were me, I'd take out one entire school. Probably the congos and not replace them with anything else since they get pretty large.
If you want the rummy's or cardinals, take out a different school, whichever other gets pretty large.

I overstock my tanks a lot too, but in a 30 it'll look really crowded and busy.
You should also consider keeping only 1 bottom feeder, I'd stick with Cory's and remove the loaches since they tend to be pretty shy. And then go with either the hatchet fish or bentos tetras. You could add a couple more to whichever you decide to keep if you went that route, and your GBR's/DG's could definitely be your centerpieces.

You can have more Amanos if you like, they don't contribute much to bioload, but they are filter feeders so you'll want to have an established (up and running for 3+ months) before you add them so they have stuff to eat.

Last edited:
Personally, I think you have too many fish. If it were me, I'd take out one entire school. Probably the congos and not replace them with anything else since they get pretty large.
If you want the rummy's or cardinals, take out a different school, whichever other gets pretty large.

I overstock my tanks a lot too, but in a 30 it'll look really crowded and busy.
You should also consider keeping only 1 bottom feeder, I'd stick with Cory's and remove the loaches since they tend to be pretty shy. And then go with either the hatchet fish or bentos tetras. You could add a couple more to whichever you decide to keep if you went that route, and your GBR's/DG's could definitely be your centerpieces.

You can have more Amanos if you like, they don't contribute much to bioload, but they are filter feeders so you'll want to have an established (up and running for 3+ months) before you add them so they have stuff to eat.

I already have the loaches and they are doing good. I currently have 4 Bentos Tetras, 5 Congo Tetras, 5 Cory Catfish, and 2 Panda Garra.

Maybe this stock would work:

3 Amano Shrimp
8 Cory Catfish (the smaller variety)
5 Marbled Hatchetfish
7 Bentos Tetra
2 German Blue Rams
4 Panda Garra
5 Congo Tetras/6 Cardinal Tetras

According the Aq Advisor this tank would be completely stocked, but not overstocked. Probably because of my filter haha. But I haven't added all of these fish yet. I may not add one of the tetra groups.

Well I just read on other threads from other fish forums that their Rams have eaten Amano Shrimp. So I will get an Assassin Snail instead and this will be my stock:

1-2 Assassin Snails
2 German Blue Rams (1 Male, 1 Female)
7 Bentos Tetras
6 Marbled Hatchetfish
5 Congo Tetras or 7 Rummy-nose Tetras
8 Cory Catfish
4 Panda Garra

Hopefully this tank won't be overstocked, but I have a good filter and a lot of hiding places.

I'm going to go to the fish store this weekend so I'll have to make a final decision by then. Recently I've thought about trying Angelfish, but I don't know if my tank size would be good enough for them. I don't know if Angelfish would eat Amano Shrimp if I would get them. I've recently come upon more questions recently too haha! I read that Ghost Glass Catfish will not eat flake food... is that true? I currently have 4 Bentos Tetras, 5 Cory Cats, and 2 Panda Garra. My tank is planted and its diminsions are 36 in. by 12 in. by 14 in. (29 gallon). I will add a few more Cory Catfish, 2-3 more Bentos Tetras, and two Rams for sure. So my stock would be:

6-7 Bentos Tetras
2 German Blue Rams
9 Cory Catfish

Other options to put with this stock would be:

Cardinal Tetras
Rummy-nose Tetras
Marbled Hatchetfish
Ghost Glass Catfish
Angelfish
Amano Shrimp
Assassin Snails

If your store has them, I would suggest thay instead of cardinals, neons would be lighter on the wallet. Some would argue the size of cardinals and their color but I don't see a difference.

Back
Top Bottom