another spammer..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

heathers_hounds

Aquarium Advice Regular
well, I got another one---[[link removed]] and here is the member name Ambeeeh

sorry if this is not the right spot to post this, wasn't sure what else to do

In the upper right hand corner of anyones post, there is an icon that says "Report". Just hit that button on the offending post.

please do NOT post the links. I'm going to move this to site help/feedback.

What do you mean by "got another one"? are these being emailed to you from AA?

As stated above just hit the report button and someone will take care of it. Please dont write down the titles of these links as we dont need to know that. This is a family site so printing the title is not wanted. Thanks

Why I should report spam vs link to it or post in it.

Spammers want attention. Doing more than hitting REPORT gives them exactly what they want. ATTENTION. Posting puts their topic at the top of the list and keeps it on the first page giving it more attention. Linking to it gives it attention as it allows people to hit the topic from multipl eplaces that again could be kept at the top of the page. In addition when google or other search sites get multiple links to the same page they by default assing it a higher page ranking for the search terms contained thus giving them more attention.

Reporting the post gives them no attention except to those with power to remove the post and the user.

Are you getting them from threads that you are watching? Indeed, the spammers are fully aware of that, which is why they post onto established threads as well as creating new ones. As others have mentioned, report the spammers and do not help them spread their garbage.

I apologize for posting the link. I am not a member of alot of forums...I am recieving emails from AA saying a reply has been made to a topic I have posted to, but when I took the link there was nothing there. this topic doesn't exist is what is says so really there wasn't a place to report when I took the link... I don't think. and I don't want to try again. then when I look for the thread it is still there with me being the last one to post in it. I am not watching the thread, like I said I just got 2 different emails to two different threads so I reported it, I just did that in the wrong way and again I am sorry.

When that happens, that means that the staff has removed the offending post by the time you tried looking at it.

By "watching threads", I meant exactly what you referred to. You needn't apologize, just want members to be aware of what occurs with spammed threads and posts and how to handle them.

Back
Top Bottom