another substrate ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ckmn101

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have Malawi Cichlids and one (Yellow Lab) is totally anal about moving the gravel around- he clears the bottom and stacks it up against the front. Would they prefer sand or gravel?

Africans prefer sand over gravel, but you can use either one. The lab will continue to move the substrate no matter what you use. It is what they do. :) Just make sure you use a substrate with no sharp edges.

just hold the vac over the sand, and suck the dirt up. don't go into the sand, the debris don't penetrate the surface.

I suck the sand into the python tube and shake it back out. It pulls out the debris and also stirs the sand to prevent gas pockets. As long as you have the proper amount of suction, you won't lose any sand by doing it this way.

I have silica sand, very fine gravel really, and I usually skim the surface of the sand. But sand will go anaerobic after some time, so for deep cleanings, I plunge the vac into the sand, let it suck some up, and then pinch the hose so the flow of water slows enough for the sand to gently fall back out but still suck out the gunk (a little practice and you'll get it).

I don't. I stir it up and let the filters and mts do the work

Be careful if you decide to "stir up" your sand, as that will destroy the impeller/magnetic drive/plastic parts of your filter quicker than you can say "sandblast erosion"...

Be careful if you decide to "stir up" your sand, as that will destroy the impeller/magnetic drive/plastic parts of your filter quicker than you can say "sandblast erosion"...

I don't have any impellors/magnetic drives/plastic parts in my filter :) and probably should have pointed out that i'm running totally air driven side drop filters.
Thanks for beating me to it.

Back
Top Bottom