another thread about OSCARS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

astrocella

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i've recently learned that rosey red feeders aren't exactly the best meals out there for oscars :roll:. so i've switched to TROUT WORMS (small nightcrawlers) as their main course. the LFS suggested it.. what do you guys think?

here's a typical day

1 worm
a pinch of live blood worms (these are too small i'm not getting anymore)
some live brine (again, too small.. not getting more)
flakes
pellets

all they want is live food. they're not interested in pellets really, but they'll eat flakes for appetizers i guess..

what's an ideal diet for oscars?

thanxxx

Along with a staple pellet or flake, feed a variety of foods, such as broccoli, peas, earthworms, crickets, mealworms, beef heart, crayfish, shrimp, blood worms, or krill.

Feeder fish should never be chosen as a primary food source because they have virtually no nutritional value. In addition feeders contain an enzyme called thaimase which breaks down thiamine.

Thiamine is an important vitamin and if you use feeders as a large portion of your fishes diet it could develope a thiamine deficiency which along with the lack of other vitamins could lead to HITH.

You also run the high risk of your fish contracting other diseases, such as
ich, other parasites, or fungal infections. :cry:

if you feed them worms everyday they probably won't be too keen on your pellets, lol! they need a varied diet, as you have probably noticed , they will eat just about anything...i feed mine a couple of kinds of pellets, green peas, worms, crawdads, they have had feeders, but i got tired of worrying with the feeder guppies...it's a long story :D --anyways--they eat lettuce, sliced ham....sometimes they will eat algae wafers, but that isn't a favorite....i try to feed them pellets everyday at least once, then sometimes for their second feeding they get the special of the day--i was really suprised to see how wild they went for the peas, but they love them! some ppl feed them raw hamburger. if you feed them the same thing all the time, they can get spoiled and go on a food strike, i haven't had any problems with that by keeping them guessing though. find a good staple pellet, and then supplement that with veggies, worms, bugs....you don't need to worry with the feeders, although they like them.. but they should only be an occasional treat in my opinion, and only after making sure they are disease free for a couple of weeks.

crazybiatch, i gave you all my kudos points.. cuz you always answer my oscar questions..... and i enjoy your posts to the fullest :D

so here's another one for ya.... or any oscarologist...

literally overnight, my 2 oscars developed some white spots on their fins.. dorsal fins? their arms... and on their bellies.. then the next day i saw spots on one of their eyes, and noticed some inside their mouths. :(

i got some maracyn-two.. 8 tabs.. i put in 4 the first day, 2 the next day, and 2 on the third day.. then let it all sit for a 4th day. not much happened. so i called the pros.. they suggested furazone green.

i waited a couple days to start the new treatment.. did a 50% water change and started in with the green. it's day 2 now and all of a sudden the bigger one is picking on the smaller one. :( it's sad, and i shall have no more of this :D i put in a seperator for about 2 hours.. took it out, and now they seem to be buddies again...

my main concern is the spots. for now. is this ich, hole in the head, or some fungus.. or what??????? i still have 3 more days of furazone green to go...
they're just little tiny white specks on the fins, and blotchy patches on the bellies.. :(

and ok, i know this is bad, but they both live in a 29 gallon tank. they're about 3 inches now.. still young.. and they live with a tank of a claw frog. i know it's cramped, but they'll be moving to a big tank asap. but just so you guys know, that's the deal.

so the scenario is... spots, overnight fighting (they got along like lovers 2 days ago), and medication. i was feeding them rosey red feeders for awhile.. and quit cuz i heard that was a sin (and may be the source of the spots?) now their main course is trout worms.... temp is at 82. help help help.

Back
Top Bottom