anothing stocking question: 10 gallon planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FMJnaX

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Yes, I know.... you don't want to read another stocking question. But here it is anyway.

We got a 10 gallon aquarium for my daughter (that's how I justify it. lol). It's already up and running and is planted with low/mid light plants. We went looking for fish, but my daughter wanted everything EXCEPT for what could go in a 10 gal tank. She was pointing to things like yellow labs, goldfish, various sharks, and angels. When I pointed out the normal neons, guppies, lyretails, endlers, platies, etc, she pretty much shrugged them off.

So my question really goes out to those with youngers kids (3 and under) and community tanks, but anyone can chime in. What can I stock the tank with that will be both colorful and large enough to easily be seen. Like I said, the first thing that came to mind was guppies, but they were shrugged off. I would think that a school of smaller fish would make up for the lack of larger fish since they would be in a group and easier to see. I guess I need something that I can get the most off to make it a highly active tank. The kiddo's are only used to seeing two goldfish in a larger tank so a much more active community would probably draw more of their attention, what do you think?

Try a dwarf Gourami? A nice red flame should be nice... And even though cories aren't very colorful, they are usually active and playful... and your daughter may like them more once she gets them home.

i second the dwarf gourami, what about some nice balloon molly's? like was said above cory's make good bottom dwellers and are always on the move.. 8)

Jchillin said:
Add a BN pleco or three corydoras and you're set. :)

Already arranged for a BN plec or the clown (haven't decided which will be in what tank) :wink:

Now that I think of it, my entire family was rather fascinated at the dalmation mollies. I may have to dwel upon the molly suggestion for a while.

you might want to get males, unless you want to have fry often..my gf has been asking for some dalmations for our community tank but for some reason they dont appeal to me. i have 1 pair right now, i have a black sailfin molly and a black balloon molly, i dont know if they are the same but they look really nice. the male is black with a bright yellow line going down his top fin.

Well, last night was fish night. I did my research expecting to get mollies or platies, since that was the general consensus last time we were at the fish store. I should have known better and done a broader range of research. As a result, I think I MAY be overstocked. Here's what we ended up with:

5 Jumbo Neon Tetra's (your every day run of the mill "neons"). They're about 1/2" right now and are in excellent condition (suprisingly).
1 Spotted Cory. He/She's about an inch and is one of the best looking spotted cory's I've seen, markings wise.
1 Gold Apple Snail, probably the size of a large marble.

Now, if I remember right, neons can get up to about 2" and the cory about 3". That puts me at 13" of fish in a 10 gallon tank, plus whatever the snail adds and the possible BN pleco (he may go in the big tank, haven't decided). The tank is planted (kind of. Plants just stuck in for grow out) and over filtered at 15x

Anyway, I haven't kept a small community tank (or any community tank for that matter) for at least 10 years. So am I overstocked, understocked, or just right?

I would say you are understocked if anything. Neons maybe 1 and a half. Corys 2 2.5 tops. I would get 2 more cories and a couple more neons.

Sweet! I was hoping I could at the very least get cory a friend (since we all know they like to group), but I didn't want to chance it. I told the wife we would start here and see where it goes.

Snail can easily go in to the large tank so I don't think there's a problem there. In fact, he may even be happier in the larger tank anyway... or at least until I can get the 10 gal properly planted and cleaned up (it's 20 year old equipment. lol).

One thing I forgot to mention was the names. My daughter always has to name the fish, so here's what she came up with:

Snail = Slimey
Cory = Cory (she thought it was hilarious when I said "corydora". She was like "You said Dora the Explorer daddy!")
Neon = The boys

So I have my own rock band now. We have Cory and the boys, featuring Slimey. Kids can be quite the characters eh? lol

I have a 5 & 6 year old. I personally wouldn't put neons in a tank for them cause they are so prone to just dropping dead for no apparent reason. The corys are excellent. While the kids may be unimpressed with them in the store they love when you get them home in the tanks cause they are so cute and active. My kids prefer the panda corys. My kids love the mystery snail. Platies....in my opinon.....aren't too cute and always end up with a fat look. Neither I or the kids like them. The balloon mollies are cool looking. My kids love our ADF and it's proven to be very hardy. They also really love our betta! Just really think over the neons......if your daughter is anything like mine she will mourn the death of each fish and with neons you may find yourself mourning alot unless you always find the dead one first. Hope that helps.

Interesting on the neons. When I did keep them, I can't really recall any phantom deaths... at any rate, I appreciate the advice. I'll have to keep an eye out and make sure nothing happens. I'll put a couple more in (2 or 3) and get the tank properly planted. That should minimize the impact on any loss (I hope)!

Definetly get at least 2 more cories... they like to be in schools, and since you have cories as "bottom" fish and neons as your "middle/top" fish i don't think you will be overstocked, because they all have their own space!

Sounds to me like you have an excellent excuse to get a 55!

I guess it is a little late now, but I would have suggested a male betta, 3 or 4 ADF, and a snail or two.

Back
Top Bottom