antenatta lionfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crabbyjack

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I ended up getting an antenatta lion. He is really cool! I am trying to get him to eat and having trouble. I've had him for 3 days and have offered him frozen krill every day. Should I get him some ghost shrimp to get him started? I don't know when he ate last and do not want to starve him.

You could try. But, I would continue to offer the dead food. How are you offering it? You may have to wiggle it or swim it in front of him to entice him to eat. You could also try some garlic extreme to help encourage him to eat. I wouldn't worry to much just yet. Although I understand your anxiety about him eating, three days really isn't that long.

Yeah...just stick your hand in front of a lion fish and wave it around! 8O

Im sorry, I had to. :lol: I dont know a thing about lions other than you dont wanna play with the ones in the ocean. Heheh...I just thought that was funny for some reaon. Us silly freshwater guys always gotta stick their freshwater noses where it doesnt belong! :p

I just bought four ghost shrimp and he gobbled them all up in about 10 minutes(only because it took him a while to find them) It was damn cool watching him hunt and eat them! Why is frozen better than live? Is there a variety of live food I could feed him? I have a 20g I am not using, maybe I could keep live food in there for him, but I like to feed my fish a variety so just ghost shrimp wouldn't work. Any suggestions?

youronlysin said:
Yeah...just stick your hand in front of a lion fish and wave it around!

Yeah, obviously that's a bad idea. :roll: I guess I should have added to use tongs or a feeding stick (this is what I use) to entice the lion. :D

If you could offer him a natural diet of live food a few times a week, then that would be great.
I find raw food to be easier to manage. If for some reason he doesn't eat the live food, then you have to remove it. Unless it's a sw species. I would offer him different foods like raw shrimp or pieces of silversides etc. Mine started out on guppies. Then I got him to start taking raw shrimp pieces. Once he got used to me and into a feeding routine, now he eats anything, raw or dried. He even eats flake food.

Back
Top Bottom