Antonio's 33G Planted Aquarium (PhOtOs Updated 06/01/07)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ant0ni081

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone I've been asked by Jchillin to post up my welcome thread here in the planted tank section.
nice to meet you all :D

For my first post i thought i'd quickly show you my new aquarium. A jewel Vision 120.

I set it up with a nutrient-rich base substrate for my plants. I'm a horticulturist, but this is my first attempt with the aquatic type
On top of the base substrate i put aquarium sand, which i think makes for a beautiful and practical covering. Also its good for what i want, and thats a few different fish which need the fine substrate .

I have a variety of plants and will be giving a list of in a later post. fish wise, i have. . . .

10 Neon Tetra
5 Rummy Nose Tetra
5 Glass Catfish
1 Synodontis
6 Kuhli Loach
1 Congo Frog (Dwarf African)
5 Shrimp
2 Flying fox
Plus a few common pond Snails (i think?)

OK heres a list of the plants i have. I'll give the name and position in the tank for anyone wanting to identify them within my underwater garden. Based on the full tank photo below.

Ludwigia mullertii (L.Repens) (front left corner of tank)
Cabomba Australis (front left corner of tank )
Aponogeton Madagascariensis (Mid-Left, centre of drift wood)
Miriophyllum Matogrossense (Back, behind A. madagascariensis)
Nyphea Maculata (N. zenkeri) (Tiger Lotus) (Foreground, front right of drift wood)
Crinium Natans (Centre, Midground)
Aponogeton Crispus (Centre, middle of tank)
Limnophilia Aquatica (Centre, back behind A. crispus)
Vallisneria Torta (Twisted vallis) (Back, mid right)
Vallisneria Rubra (Giant red vallisneria) (Back, right of V. torta)
Eleocharis Aricularis (Dwarf Hairgrass) (foreground, right of centre)
Ceratopteris Siliquosa (Fine leaf Indian fern) (front, far right corner)
Echinodorus Paniculatus (Amazon Sword) (Back left corner of tank)

And as of this morning i have recieved in the post, 4 moss balls and a banana plant. A strange plant with large finger-like roots, hence the banana conection lol. Not sure of its botanical name. . .so i would be interested if anyone knows.

I'm thinking of getting a few more suitable bulbs to help the plants out. At the moment i have 2 tubes, both of 25w each. The front tubes a Jewel WarmLite, and the rear a Interpet DayLite Plus.
Im looking out for a more plant specific tube to replace the DayLite Plus. So any suggestions are welcomed

And as for the substrate waves along the bottom, yea i like them too I got the inspiration from a photo i saw in a aquatics book. There was a shot of a giant clam, and where the two shells met along the centre line was this beautiful interlocking wave effect. So i set on it and got this two tone wave.

Well anyways its nice to find somewhere i can learn about my new hobby look forward to posting up soon with some much better shots and info on my set up if anyones interested.

Thanks.

Antonio

Attachments

• tank1_392.jpg
    tank1_392.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 94
  • newfulltank3_197.jpg
    newfulltank3_197.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 43
  • fulltank4_204.jpg
    fulltank4_204.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 46
  • fulltanknice_126.jpg
    fulltanknice_126.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 51
  • fulltank25th_172.jpg
    fulltank25th_172.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 31
  • dsc00279_111.jpg
    dsc00279_111.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 50
I don't mind repeating what I said in your Welcome Wagon thread...the visual effect of the tank is stunning (I think you mentioned you took the shot with a camera phone?).

I'm not familiar with the equipment you mention but if you can find out from the bulbs, the K (temperature) rating info would be cool, as well as the tank size (is the 120 the size?)

yea its a Vison 120, so its a 120 litre tank. (93-42-55cm)

And yea i took these shots with my phones cam. Its a Sony W810, that walkman phone. But its got a might fine 2 meg Pix cam on it too. but cant wait o get my proper cam going tonight, i miss taking good photos ;)

"daylight plus tube" (6500K colour temperature)
"jewel warmLite" (?)

Attachments

• lefttank_126.jpg
    lefttank_126.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 36
  • glasscatfish1_863.jpg
    glasscatfish1_863.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 28
  • rntetra_129.jpg
    rntetra_129.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 32
  • tower2_977.jpg
    tower2_977.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 30
  • synodontis_1_143.jpg
    synodontis_1_143.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 28
Ant0ni081 -- I like it, particularly the light-colored substrate... What do you have hiding under there? Are you worried that it will mix? (I promise it will) ;)

Also, are you injecting CO2? What is your Fert Dosing? Using a canister filter? Any other details on your setup?

I like your fish choice, though your Rummynose are either stressed out, or else they might be false rummynose (not as bright red coloring)... The driftwood is very cool, if a bit small (I have some large pieces and find it hard to keep them visible through the plants, a problem you will probably have as things start to fill in) :)

Your plants are also well chosen. You should be able to ID, and/or find more information on them at one of these two sites: http://www.plantgeek.net/plantguide_all_gallery.php or http://www.tropica.com/default.asp

Finally, a comment on your incredible cellphone pics. After you get them to your PC, if you use a program like Picasa to balance out the color (too much yellow), I think you will like the end result: http://picasa.google.com/

Great thread... Keep the updates coming!

Your daylight plus sounds like is should be just fine for you tank, no need to replace it for the plants benefit. If you're trying to get a different "look" then just look for one with a spectrum that gives the color you're looking for. As long as the Kelvin rating is between 5000K and 10000K it should work just fine for your plants. No need to spend tons of money on a "plant" bulb.

Considering the good pictures you're getting with your camera phone, you should be able to get some especially impressive ones with your "real" camera. Nice start on your tank, I look forward to updates as it matures.

Nice looking tank! I really like the way you made the substrate in waves. Just like a natural stream bed.

Thanks for the comments dudes ;) I just taken some more shots. not bad me thinks for a phone cam :D Still havent got batteries for my digcam :(
But anyways. . . .. enjoy :)

Also i recieved my floating "Water Chestnut" plant. Actually 3 of them, although they did get hammered in the post and have had lost almost all of the 50 or so leaves it once had. but the rooting stems and crown are fine and will begin to florish once more ;)

now for some photos. by the way! i have as of yet, unidentified plant. (first photo) Can anyone tell me what this is?

**********More Photos coming in a few minutes*******************

Ant

Attachments

• unidentifiedplant_224.jpg
    unidentifiedplant_224.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 38
Thanks for the nice comments

This is my first attempt at aquascaping. I Knew what i wanted to achieve and im happy with the result considering its a first attempt. I cant wait for a month later when the plants have filled out a little more, they're well on their way already. just a new set up, plant specific substrate under the aquarium sand top layer, and a dose of ferts. No CO2 as of yet, although i would like to invest in a small CO2 injector.

So if anyone has any success stories and can suggest/recommend one of the smaller CO2 systems i would be greatful

Heres a few more pics from my phone cam. Better ones will replace all my photos tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks

Ant

Attachments

• ntetra3_102.jpg
    ntetra3_102.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 23
  • longshot_158.jpg
    longshot_158.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 23
  • frog2_148.jpg
    frog2_148.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 23
  • frog3_193.jpg
    frog3_193.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 34
  • kuhli_loach2_180.jpg
    kuhli_loach2_180.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 24
  • kuhli_loach1_121.jpg
    kuhli_loach1_121.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 27
WOW!

Really nice pictures. :) It is not easy to get good pictures of the fish IME They just wont hold still for me! :)

You havw done a great job with your scape, looks really nice. I like the rippling sand substrate, it creates a nice feeling of depth. I also like the arragement of your plants leaving lots of swimming room and groupings with nice visual appeal.

Nice work! :)

I am new to planting as well but I just love it!
Enjoy!

I was wondering if anyone can help me idnetify this new family of snails i seem to have (unknowingly) adopted during the last few weeks.

I've taken a few shots, hope they help.

:)

Attachments

• snail1_874.jpg
    snail1_874.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 11
  • snail2_816.jpg
    snail2_816.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 10
  • snail3_691.jpg
    snail3_691.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 13
  • snail4_202.jpg
    snail4_202.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 11
And heres a few more photos after a tidy up and the addition of a few things :)

ant

Attachments

• lefttank5_108.jpg
    lefttank5_108.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 20
  • shrimponlace_168.jpg
    shrimponlace_168.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 11
The snails look like a common pond snail to me...

I like the little stream of pebbles thing you have going there.

Is that a Val you have planted on your driftwood?

Keep it up! I like your layout and look forward to following this thread as things continue to evolve and fill in for you.

dapellegrini said:
Is that a Val you have planted on your driftwood?

which piece of wood did u mean? i got a couple of plants on the wood. The left on is the banana plant. the one on the left peice is "Vallisneria torta" (twisted Vallis).

Ant

Just a few new photos after i had changed the bulbs. I took out the front tube, which was a jewel "WarmLite" hence why my first bunch on photos were a bit on the orange side of things lol :D
I removed it and replaced it with a "PowerGlo". I like the change, its more a natural daylight effect now. Where as it was a warmer orange before. I like the new look much more, and it also helped me get a few nice pictures . . . . .

:p hows this for a Sony W810i moblie phone cam.......................

Attachments

• rntetranice_997.jpg
    rntetranice_997.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 21
  • shrimpleaf2_208.jpg
    shrimpleaf2_208.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 24
  • beautifulfrog1_153.jpg
    beautifulfrog1_153.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 14
  • beautifulfrog2_203.jpg
    beautifulfrog2_203.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 16
Your pics are amazing for a camera phone (and any camera, really). Super tank, and I love the fish! Can we get an updated whole tank shot?

yea heres a few more . . . .. check back up at the first post, youcan see a few shots in a week by week sequence .

Ant

As of last week i dicided to install a second filter. My water never seemed to be that crystall clear i was looking for, and was always made up of a suspension of various bits and pieces, god knows where they came from.
So i bought myself a New external canister filter. I decided on the TetraTec EX 700. I have a 120lt tank and this pump is made for tanks of 100lt - 250lt capacity, i thought its best to go for the larger model in case i decided to upgrade my tank someday. Biggers always better right ;)

Well i have to say its great :). Very easy to install and set up, totally silent when running, produces crystal clear waters like i was looking for ;) and has some nice valve ideas which allow for easy cleaning without soaking the floor and surrounding area.

Definatly a recommended External filter by me :)

Antonio

Back
Top Bottom