anubias congensis planting help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DrwHem

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am new to indoor aquatic plants. I recently bought a anubias congensis about 2 weeks ago and it now has a totally yellow leaf. A lot of people say to make sure the rhizome is not buried but I cant tell. its a small plant and I am not able to weigh it down. Can someone post pictures of how to plant this into gravel? I also seem to have a root growing straight up out of the gravel.

I am new to indoor aquatic plants. I recently bought a anubias congensis about 2 weeks ago and it now has a totally yellow leaf. A lot of people say to make sure the rhizome is not buried but I cant tell. its a small plant and I am not able to weigh it down. Can someone post pictures of how to plant this into gravel? I also seem to have a root growing straight up out of the gravel.

The best way to "plant" it in gravel is to wedge it (mostly the roots) in between a rock/driftwood/piece of decor and let the plant grow its roots into the gravel.

Go out and find a tiny rock, rinse it very well (might want to check if it alters pH at all by testing it in a bowl of water first), and then place it on top of the anubias roots leaving the rhizome exposed. As the plant grows it will shoot it roots into the gravel, then you can remove the tiny rock and the plant will stay put.

Usually new anubias leaves are very light in colour compared to old leaves, so give it some time and the lighter coloured leaf could possibly go green. If not you don't have enough light, or nutrients for the plant to live.

I will attach a pic I stole from the internet showing what the rhizome is. (red is rhizome, blue it roots).

Attachments

• anubias.JPG
    anubias.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 437
Back
Top Bottom