Anubias melt/brown/hole

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Racing

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have my new tank for less than 2 months. 2 weeks ago I realize my jungal Val, anubias and bolbitis heudelotii have black beard algea, so I checked YouTube and use excel and hydrogen peroxide half and half, some got spoted treatment, some got sprayed under water. After a week, those got spot treated melt away. Now those got sprayed under water, especially anubias, their leaves edge turn brown and melting, has holes.

Btw I don’t have co2 in my tank, but I use flourish and this week I start using iron and patassium half dosage just to test.

Any suggestions? Is this due to excel reaction or due to iron and patassium added to water? Thanks!

Attachments

• 1B9A2646-6A26-4C19-9B27-85B1322E5D4E.jpg
    1B9A2646-6A26-4C19-9B27-85B1322E5D4E.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 152
  • D30552A3-1C54-4B84-8665-A1F82D232433.jpg
    D30552A3-1C54-4B84-8665-A1F82D232433.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 65
  • E62EEA36-0F42-4B09-B8DA-B50D5E750944.jpg
    E62EEA36-0F42-4B09-B8DA-B50D5E750944.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 67
Looks like melting due to chemicals. Nothing to worry about they will recover.

I do see what appears to be Sulfur deficiency - yellowing of the new leaves but the old growth is staying fairly green.

Your Plants

I have my new tank for less than 2 months. 2 weeks ago I realize my jungal Val, anubias and bolbitis heudelotii have black beard algea, so I checked YouTube and use excel and hydrogen peroxide half and half, some got spoted treatment, some got sprayed under water. After a week, those got spot treated melt away. Now those got sprayed under water, especially anubias, their leaves edge turn brown and melting, has holes.

Btw I don’t have co2 in my tank, but I use flourish and this week I start using iron and patassium half dosage just to test.

Any suggestions? Is this due to excel reaction or due to iron and patassium added to water? Thanks!

Hello Rac...

Algae of any sort will thrive in water with excess nutrients. Your fish and plants aren't using all the food you're giving them. Putting chemicals into the tank water other than the standard water treatment is risky. You never know how the fish and plants will react. The best thing to do is be more aggressive with your water changes and do a good job of vacuuming the bottom material. You should be removing and replacing at least half the water weekly. If you're not, you leave most of the dissolved nutrients and other pollutants in the water. The fish and plants will add to that before the next water change. My suggestion would be to clean up the tank water and stop using the chemicals, other than your water treatment for a few weeks until you get the water chemistry under control.

B

Back
Top Bottom