Anubias Nana flowering??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bluerose

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So... I apparently have a flowering Nana in my tank. It's rather cool actually.

Do I need to do anything?

In the meantime, while the Nana is happy enough to flower and all three are putting out new leaves, I'm still losing Anacharis left and right... the stuff grew so fast I was having to thin it twice a week and now it's dying off faster than it grows. Didn't change anything... sigh... oh well.

Congrats! no need to do anything, just enjoy the flower. They'll last for a few weeks, then start to rot away.

As for the anacharis, that's odd. Are you dosing excel? anacharis and excel do not mix.

Nice job on the Nana or the scraggly Anacharis? ;)

At the moment I have stripes of MagFloat-resistant algae on the walls, oodles of MTS that are no longer nocturnal, and BBA that is going pink thanks to a nice dunk-and-fizzle in H202, so my tank is not that photo-friendly... although I do love watching my school of very bright neons dilly-dallying in the plants.

Not dosing Excel... did that once already and melted all the anacharis. It's not so much melting but dying-- going brown and then disintegrating. It's doing it in both my main tank where it was very happy (regular lighting and dosing-- using just Flourish, nothing else, usually only 1x/wk but sometimes 2x) and the betta tank (irregular lighting, sometimes 1x/wk dosing) where it was actually doing OK-- not too much growth but not dying either.

I figure if the stuff all dies, I'll find a new stem plant to play with... it's not that expensive and it was really annoying to deal with when it was happy as it needed thinning and reorganizing at least twice a week. Lots of tangled stems, sigh. Tank's just not big enough for it (8gal tall).

will h2o2 kill anacharis? maybe you didnt rinse the plants off enough before putting them back in the tank?

I figure if the stuff all dies, I'll find a new stem plant to play with... it's not that expensive and it was really annoying to deal with when it was happy as it needed thinning and reorganizing at least twice a week. Lots of tangled stems, sigh. Tank's just not big enough for it (8gal tall).

I've just discovered moneywort, and dwarf baby teaars. Moneywort is kind of like anacharis except it has larger, broader, thicker leaves. DBT is more of a bushy plant, with many small leaves.

will h2o2 kill anacharis? maybe you didnt rinse the plants off enough before putting them back in the tank?

It all depends on if the plant dipped in the peroxide was the anacharis or not. Anacharis while incredibly fast growing under many conditions, is quite weak against chemicals due to the thin leaves.

If not directly dipped, though, I'd say nope. Peroxide is the perfect (IMO of course) oxidizer as unlike bleach it very quickly turns to oxygen and water, and this is quickened by light. So once added back to the tank the combination of dilution and light make it almost benign. You'd have more detrimental effects to the fish than the plants if you had too much peroxide added to the tank, and then only if a concentrated dose was placed in a spot.

Before going pressurized (which while expensive I highly recommend to anyone as it WILL drastically decrease algae issues due to fluctuating CO2 levels), my DIY CO2 system caused many different types of algae, of which BBA and staghorn were the worst. I would fill a pipet with peroxide and treat the leaves directly IN the tank with the fish. I'd turn off the filter to keep the water still, feed the fish at the other side of the tank to prevent them from wandering over, and then do my application. Peroxide when undiluted is thick and you can see it "fall" onto the leaves and start bubbling away. After 30 seconds or so I'd turn the filter back on and if needed move the leaves around a bit to get the peroxide off.

Within a couple minutes you could see the algae change colors, and within a couple days it would die. I would use this ONLY on thick-leaved plants such as anubias which seemed to be the most frequently affected. Anything that grew faster wasn't worth the effort, just clip the plant and discard the affected area.

Back
Top Bottom