Anubis poisonous?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KayH

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have an old established shrimp tank with an overgrown Anubis plant it has roots in the substrate. (4+ years) Can I safely trim it while still in the tank?? Hate to uproot it! But have heard they have poisonous sap - don't want to kill or upset my shrimpies.

when I trim my anubias it doesn't have "jucie or sap"
And I rarely trim petites and stardust. (mostly petite stardust ive only cut once)

when I trim my anubias it doesn't have "jucie or sap"
And I rarely trim petites and stardust. (mostly petite stardust ive only cut once)

Great I'll trim and have 3 new plants about 3" long thanks

They are supposed to be poisonous, probably to eat, but I have plenty of fish picking at the decaying edges of some of the leaves and the fish are all long lived and fine for years now. I have trimmed and broken off pieces of A. large and small and even in my shrimp tank.

But just to be on the safe side I would do a pwc a few hours after the trim, and maybe a couple over the few days afterwards just to be sure. I have made sure to do the pwc if I cut them. for that reason, just in case! Rarely have had to trim as they aren't super fast growers.

They are supposed to be poisonous, probably to eat, but I have plenty of fish picking at the decaying edges of some of the leaves and the fish are all long lived and fine for years now. I have trimmed and broken off pieces of A. large and small and even in my shrimp tank.

But just to be on the safe side I would do a pwc a few hours after the trim, and maybe a couple over the few days afterwards just to be sure. I have made sure to do the pwc if I cut them. for that reason, just in case! Rarely have had to trim as they aren't super fast growers

Good idea rather be safe

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom