Anxiously awaiting the spike...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alivenwell82

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My 10 gallon planted (see sig) is in it's 8th day:

I just tested the water using a liquid reagent for the 8th time. The readings were as follows:

pH: 7.8
Ammonia: 0-.25 ppm (can't tell. closer to zero)
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 0-5 ppm

Those readings are identical to Day 1. No change between.

I have not changed the water. I was waiting to see an Ammonia reading. I have, however, lost a lot to evaporation and replaced what I have lost.

Shouldn't I be seeing at least the makings of an Ammonia spike by now? I have a few theories - some crazier than others:

1) The bio-load is so low, the it's taking a while (all fish 1-1.75 inches)
2) I've fed VERY sparingly, fearing polluting the water
3) My temperature has been consistently 88-84 F because of the hot weather. I've kept cool using a fan on the water surface. (Heat slowing cycle development?)
4) The tank is planted. Cycle is somehow done, already low nitrates devoured by plants. Possible? Unlikely.
5) The tank gets decent amount of ambient sunlight (no so much direct), can that have an impact?

I'd appreciate any suggestions. I'm not too concerned (knock on wood) because my water quality seems okay and my fish appear and act fine. Just curious.

Thanks again.

I do believe your plants will use ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate as food so they maybe thats what's keeping it from spiking. Also if your completely cycled yet, Does your tapwater have ammonia and nitrites? You should test your tapwater and see whats there adn you should continue testing until your ammonia is at zero. Once ammonia is a zero and nitrites are zero, and you have nitrates, then the cycle should be completed, but if you already have nitrates in your water, then you may never see it change since the plants use nitrates for fertilizer. My planted tank nitrates never go over 10-20. Even when i don't do a water change for a couple of weeks. But still, it should take at least a month for your tank to fully cycle IMO so keep testing it and do water changes if your ammonia gets to high.

Back
Top Bottom