Any dwarf gourami experts out there?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

angloe1

Aquarium Advice Regular
Is it normal for a male dwarf gourami to build a bubble nest even though there are only males in the tank? I'm pretty sure they are all males because they are all gorgeous! Aren't bubble nests for the eggs? Sorry if this is a dumb question but I'm fairly new at this!

Not an expert, but I believe a bubblenest is made out of the males mucus and yes they are for eggs a female would come up and deposit eggs into the nest. I also believe they sometimes keep the fry in the nest as well. I have to males and try havent made any nest yet but I don't think my water temp and ph is at the right level for them to get into the mood. Doesnt bother me though because they would be more aggressive..... I think lol.

Cool I want a bubble nest, I wonder how they spit up all that foam? :)

Tasha said:
Cool I want a bubble nest, I wonder how they spit up all that foam? :)

It's just water and some type of saliva, I think. So it wouldn't be hard. With the amount o times some people spit in a day. They could make a nest for themselves

It's just water and some type of saliva, I think. So it wouldn't be hard. With the amount o times some people spit in a day. They could make a nest for themselves

So true!! Well I definitely don't have any females so it must just be wishful thinking on the males part!!

But I do believe that means you could breed some if you had a female

Betas and gourmis both do that, and it's, IME, a sign they are happy and healthy. At least my betas started building like mad when I put them in bigger tanks... Heh. Females aren't needed

ShadoeFox said:
Betas and gourmis both do that, and it's, IME, a sign they are happy and healthy. At least my betas started building like mad when I put them in bigger tanks... Heh. Females aren't needed

Just because they dont build a nest doesn't mean that they aren't happy. It just means that the environment is not suited for breeding. In the wild the fish isn't always ready to breed. It depends on the season it is. When it's rainy the ph of the water goes more acidic and causes a change which they notice and can put them into breeding stage. Which is probably why your bettas started to nest when you put them in a bigger tank the water might have been a little differen and that changes spiked their breeding

I just think its cool he wants to be a daddy!! But wondering if thats a normal behavior when there arent any females around??

Back
Top Bottom