Any experience with Orange Dwarf Crayfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sf1

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi,

It's OK to add this guy to my community (29g planted)?

AquStockImage.php

+ some Amano, Ghost, Blue shrimps and RCS soon + 2 Neritas snail.

It won't eat my shrimps and corydoras?

Thanks

Angelfish might eat him lol think of it as a slightly larger red cherry shrimp with a killer attitude (the attitude is funny considering they cant hurt anything lol)

They are fun and so eye catching! Mine ate baby cherry shrimp, and each other when I had them as babies...and they were babies. Started with maybe 25 babies and ended with one strong victor! They shouldn't bother Amano shrimp or regular adult sized fish.

This cryfish has a big bioload?

On the bioload, not one CPO, but if you had several adults I think so. Again I am not so into the scientific explanations, but they are bottom feeders and will eat all the time and if you over feed they will eat a lot. But over feeding is bad for the tank so let it scavenge most of the time.

I would give mine the Hikari Bottom Feeder wafers, it has a orange-ish color on the package, 1/2 to one disk, and it would grab it and scoot off into a crevice and eat it up. Then as it got near adult hood I would give it a half and some days an extra whole one occasionally.

Hikari now has Crab Cuisine available at most local Petco stores and that is a great food it is easy to ever feed so drop in just a pellet at a time.

When they were tiny babies, I fed them Hikari Shrimp Cuisine, they are very tiny bits.

Since they are scavengers, I would let it eat the left overs after you feed and then later at a different time in the day give it the wafer. As a side note the Amano shrimp love these too, holding them like they are eating a hamburger. So funny to watch.

I am picking up 6 of these guys from a local breeder in about a week! Really excited about that!

Thanks

It won't stress my fishes and shrimps to death?

No these guys are to tiny lol I had one that raised its claws at anything and everything! Even me when I walked by lol but it never hurt anything. It may harrass shrimp a bit but no biggy.

I have two of these guys in my 36 bowfront, and they are hilarious. One is constantly climbing all my plants and waving it's claws at everyone that goes by until the fish get annoyed and knock it off it's perch (no harm done to crayfish or the fish unless you count the crayfish's ego), and the other is cruising around the bottom and herding my frogs around. My only concern would be that the cories may hurt them during their molt, but it should be fine as long as they have hidey holes to go into while their new shell hardens up.

I have two of these guys in my 36 bowfront, and they are hilarious. One is constantly climbing all my plants and waving it's claws at everyone that goes by until the fish get annoyed and knock it off it's perch (no harm done to crayfish or the fish unless you count the crayfish's ego), and the other is cruising around the bottom and herding my frogs around. My only concern would be that the cories may hurt them during their molt, but it should be fine as long as they have hidey holes to go into while their new shell hardens up.

You keep them with african dwarf frogs? Now I wouldnt have recomended that! How does that work out? I would have thought he cray woukd stress the frogs or the frogs eat the cray!

You keep them with african dwarf frogs? Now I wouldnt have recomended that! How does that work out? I would have thought he cray woukd stress the frogs or the frogs eat the cray!

They get along great actually! Both the crays and the frogs are full grown, no one's tried to eat each other. They'll share a shrimp tube together sometimes, other times one will have a "conference" with the cray where they just sit staring at each other with the cray tapping the frog with it's feelers for like 15 minutes straight... If the bossy cray starts bugging the frogs too much they just do a big kick to send the cray tumbling, who then starts preening herself to regain her pride :p

They get along great actually! Both the crays and the frogs are full grown, no one's tried to eat each other. They'll share a shrimp tube together sometimes, other times one will have a "conference" with the cray where they just sit staring at each other with the cray tapping the frog with it's feelers for like 15 minutes straight... If the bossy cray starts bugging the frogs too much they just do a big kick to send the cray tumbling, who then starts preening herself to regain her pride :p

I want to see these 2 intetact really bad now!

Oh, and I have 4 amano shrimp in my 36 bowfront along with the 2 crays and 4 frogs. The amanos actually bully the crayfish off the prime leaf perches... I must have wuss crayfish with big egos or something, but they sure are fun to watch :)

Oh, and I have 4 amano shrimp in my 36 bowfront along with the 2 crays and 4 frogs. The amanos actually bully the crayfish off the prime leaf perches... I must have wuss crayfish with big egos or something, but they sure are fun to watch :)

Mine were fun to watch. I am going go get more soon :)

They poops a lot? Can I keep 2 together?

Crayfish are fairly territorial, so keeping multiple together needs at least 5 gallons (ideally 10) of territory per cray, they need to be raised together, and they need twice as many hidey holes as there are crays. Everyone online claims the males are the territorial ones, but in my experience the females are actually more bossy.

I have 2 in my 10 gallon tank. I had to take my betta out cuz they kicked his ***. Looks like they got some tail from a neon tetra too. I wouldnt worry about it harming your fish unless its a betta though. These CPO arent really that good at what they do lol.

Im comfortable getting another 2 dwarf cajun for my tank. My driftwood kind of creates a 2nd story in my tank so theres more floor space.

I want to buy a hidding place for it. Maybe a tube? But which diameter? I guess 1cm is to small? Or maybe some cave? Any link to something like this?

Back
Top Bottom