Any fish good for algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aqua315

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone! So I have a 28g with 2 live plants. I'm still not finished fully stocking my tank yet but my final stock is going to be:

8 neon tetras
4 albino cherry barbs
2 gold barbs
2 German Blue rams
3 nerite snails

I currently have everything but 1 cherry barb and the german blue rams. I got the nerite snails to help with algae in the tank but I'm thinking 3 just isn't enough. I've started to notice a greenish tinge to some areas of gravel and I really want to prevent it from getting any worse. So should I just get more nerites? How many? Or is there an algae eating fish that can comfortably fit in a 28g with the rest of my stock?

First figure out what is causing the algae. Lights on too long? Overfeeding? Old bulbs?

You can also add more plants. They will compete with the algae for nutrients. Additional nerites or adult amano shrimp would likely help too.

First figure out what is causing the algae. Lights on too long? Overfeeding? Old bulbs?

You can also add more plants. They will compete with the algae for nutrients. Additional nerites or adult amano shrimp would likely help too.

My lights are usually on for about 12 hours I don't have a timer so I turn them on in the morning and then off before I go to bed.

I'd try to cut that back to 8-9 hours a day before adding any more animals and see how the tank acts.

I'd get an oto. My friend needs to put in algae flakes because she runs out of algae for it. I'd get one, wait a week and see how it goes and then possibly get another. They're little sucking catfish. Around 3 bucks. Cute little guys too

I'd get an oto. My friend needs to put in algae flakes because she runs out of algae for it. I'd get one, wait a week and see how it goes and then possibly get another. They're little sucking catfish. Around 3 bucks. Cute little guys too
most dont eat algae wafers and they need to be kept in groups of 3 or more. they arent reccommended for tanks that havent been established for at least 6 months

Back
Top Bottom