Any frontosa experts here?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rivers2k

Aquarium Advice Addict
My LFS has a Frontosa and the whole front face is black starting back at the gill cover moving forward. Anyone know of a collection point that typically have black faces not just black masks? Do you think it is possibly a hybrid? Its about 6" and they want $69 is that a fair price. I see mobas going for that but I don't think its a moba. I would love to pick it up because I love the way it looks but I don't know if I want to pay $69.

I consider myself fairly knowledgeable about frontosas I kept mpimbwes in the past. but never seen anything like this.

Sorry no pics I should have taken a pic while at the store I should be back there tomorrow.

There are no collection points that have that specific characteristic, I would lean towards stress, a low quality specimen, or a potential health issue. My money would be stress or poor genetics.

Last edited:
I know a little about frontosa and I believe HUKIT is correct. Also $69 is pretty high for one, my fish store has a few 6 inchers for $30. I can maybe see a full grown adult going for that but not a 6 Inch one.

There are no collection points that have that specific characteristic, I would lean towards stress, a low quality specimen, or a potential health issue. My money would be stress or poor genetics.

Yeah I didn't think so. Poor genetics probably (still looks cool) Its been in the store for about two weeks in a tank by itself so I don't think its stress.

I know a little about frontosa and I believe HUKIT is correct. Also $69 is pretty high for one, my fish store has a few 6 inchers for $30. I can maybe see a full grown adult going for that but not a 6 Inch one.

Some of the rarer collection points demand that kind of money but not a common burundi, thats why I asked. This place is a little pricey they ask $19 for burundi fry. but they are the only real game in town.

+1 stress can have a massive impact on how they look. Whether its been in the tank for 2weeks doesnt matter, peace, quiet and cleaner water is underrated. I would never buy adult fish, i prefer to get them as small as possible and watch them grow.

+1 stress can have a massive impact on how they look. Whether its been in the tank for 2weeks doesnt matter, peace, quiet and cleaner water is underrated. I would never buy adult fish, i prefer to get them as small as possible and watch them grow.

I agree I typically buy juvies but every so often there is an adult fish that catches my eye. For frontosa 6" is barely adult more like preteen. If this fish was the right price I would pick him up.

Back
Top Bottom