Any ideas on what this might be?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

j30084

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I need some help identifying something that has been growing out of my live rock. The tank is only about 10 days old and below I will try and add 2 different pictures. I will also describe the "thing" now. Sometimes during the day it seems as though it is completely closed and looks like a deep purplish/pinkish color with a white dot in the center. When it is open it is the same color but lighter with "feelers" that are clear/whitish. Also, under our blue led lights it seems to glow an orange color. Below I will have two pictures, one with the blue led lights on and one without. The pictures show a bigger image than the actual size of the "thing". I zoomed in all the way with my iPhone as the "thing" is smaller in diameter than a penny...maybe about half the diameter if not even smaller. Any help or ideas on what this could be would be greatly appreciated. :thanks:

The "thing" I need help identifying is located just to the left of center in the pictures by the 2 green leaves. :thanks:

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 65
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    156.2 KB · Views: 70
It's a Corynactis. Relative of both the anemone and corals. It won't amount to much of anything.
You also have an Aptasia anemone in the foreground. You will want to kill that one. Google "Aptasia anemone" to learn about them.

yeah i know about the aiptasia...i killed a few yesterday with aiptasia x and don't want to do any more for a few more days...i'll have to post another pic of a hitchhiker i need help identifying...i just can't get a good pic of it right now...it's between some of my live rock...i will try and post a pic tomorrow...thanks again

Back
Top Bottom