any ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coldwaterfan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi first of all thank you so much for id the chinese alege eaters. I was wondering if anyone could help with what could be wrong with the mystery fairground fish.

I know its a goldfish type single fan tail

He has been going nuts after 6 years of no trouble. He launches himself from the bottom to the lid and hits it with a fair bit of force. He is the largest fish in the tank and used to be aggressive as the mrs tried other fish with it before but it always killed them but he seams fine in the large tank. He has been in with the other for 3 years without issue.

Just worried the chinese alege eaters have done something to him .

ForumRunner_20131028_210230.jpg

ForumRunner_20131028_210247.jpg

ForumRunner_20131028_210313.jpg

The single tail fish in the bottom pic, correct? Its a comet, possibly a sarassa though I would not expect a sarassa to be given away at a fair . They are characterized by their long, flowing fins and tail.

How do your tank parameters look (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph)? What is your water change schedule? An issue with water quality should always be considered first when a fish displays erratic behavior and is trying to escape the water.

Thanks

He was won at a fair ground with the old ping pong ball in the jam jar game and the mrs used to keep him in a tiny bowel behind the tv and never saw the light of day. Even then the water was only ever half full. So when i moved in i took the chance of getting a 4foot 400ltr. Under the guise of it will make a great lamp.

The water tests are coming back fine but i have ordered some more bio balls carbon and ceramic to change the filters mediums. The filter is pumping about 80 gal an hour so the entire tank is being filtered every few hours. Which is better than the old filters which clip on the back.

To keep the surface broken using 2 12inch bubble stones and a huge terra air pump.
I change the water when evaporation hits about 10% of the tank which is about once a week and use a gravel cleaner to get as much poop out as possible down to another 20% of the water level.

I do use water right from the tap but i do use water treatment for this and always use some whitespot treatment.

Just cant work out why he is unhappy as i thought the chinese alege eaters might have caused this.

I prob do have the tank at its limit for stock

1 moor
2 fantails
1 comet thanks to you
12 minnows
1 weather loach
2 hill stream
5 danio
6 chinese alega eaters

Unless he isnt liking his tank mates but he is quiete close with the fantails and weather loach.

Thanks for the info! Can you provide some more specifics please?

What are your exact numbers for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph (gh and kh if you have these, too)? What are you using to test (liquid or strips)? How often are you actually doing water changes (once a week, once a month, less often)? Why are you adding ich meds with every water change and what specific type of med is it? Thanks!

Strips and i dont have any left.... just ordered more from amazon so i can give u the water actuals as didnt write them down sorry dude

Water once a week as about 10% of the water evaporates then an additional 20% with the gravel cleaner.

I add water treatment as no option but to put the 30% back in right from the tap and i use protzin i only do this as the water is colder when i put it back in and sort of stuns the fish and read that this can cause white spot ick.

Water once a week as about 10% of the water evaporates then an additional 20% with the gravel cleaner.

I add water treatment as no option but to put the 30% back in right from the tap and i use protzin i only do this as the water is colder when i put it back in and sort of stuns the fish and read that this can cause white spot ick.

Is there a reason you do not use both the hot and cold water from your tap so you are able to reasonably match the temperature of the new water to the tank water?

My best guess here is your tank water has water quality issues and that the group of CAEs is likely not helping stress levels. I forget what specifically is in protozin but I want to say it 'may' be a mix of formalin or malachite green and sodium chloride? Adding this stuff with every wc is enough to great behavioral problems and make a fish want to jump out of the tank to escape unhealthy water in addition to possible water quality issues from lack of sufficient wcs.

I would work on some 50% wcs with temperature matched, properly conditioned water and run new carbon for atleast a few days to help remove the med, reduce toxin levels and help restore buffers and minerals. It may help your fish though if he has been exposed to these chemicals for a lengthy amount of time, there may be permanent damage. Only time will tell in his case. Please ask if you have questions!

The hot water comes from a combie boiler and we have a shower not a bath and dishwasher so the hot water is hardly used and comes out of the tap like a milk colour. It has to be run for 2 hours to flush it all through before the water becomes clear.

I expecting a 2000ltr hr external filter today with a load of carbon ceramic and bio balls so will run it on max flow for a few days and change the carbon every 2 days for the next week.

And to think this fish was 50p for 3 balls to win. After the appaling state the mrs kept him in before i moved in u wouldnt think the water would bother him. Every other fish is fine but him

The 2000ltr hour pump has been on a few hours now so the entire tank should have been pulled through the filter several times by now.

I disturbed all the gravel to really stir up the tank water and the pump has pretty much cleared the water now. I set the current so it bounces around the tank back to the pump inlet and u can see any debris follow the current.

I added another 15% water has the pumps tank drained a fair bit of water filling it up but with no meds. Just hoping its been caught in time. Going to change all filter medium on saturday and dispose of the old ones in the compost bin.

Back
Top Bottom