Any larger cichlids which do not dig?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tim Wheatley

Aquarium Advice Addict
Kind of getting done with digging. ;) Are there any of the larger Americans which don't dig and preferably don't uproot plants?

Not live ones, unfortunately. If you really want plants with cichlids (and assuming they don't eat them) the best bet is to grow them in small pots covered with rockpiles.

Would anybody happen to know of a fish, max size maybe 12-14" with some nice colors which has nice characteristics? Bioload similar to Oscar would be fine.

I was initially looking at a Giant Gourami, but further reading showed they grow to really monstrous sizes and end up showing their bad side eventually...

My favorite would be a female Festae followed by Vieja synspila hitting the 14" range, there are other Vieja species as well. Trimacs, Jaguars, and Midas(not Red Devil which are common) would be my next selections.

Last edited:
I have the same problem my jag digs deep holes all the time so does my green tearer try sand but idk if that would help any

My favorite would be a female Festae followed by Vieja synspila hitting the 14" range, there are other Vieja species as well. Trimacs, Jaguars, and Midas(not Red Devil which are common) would be my next selections.

Those Festae colors (google search) look unbelievable. Wow. Thanks for your suggestions... :)

I have the same problem my jag digs deep holes all the time so does my green tearer try sand but idk if that would help any

I had sand with an Oscar previously and he still dug, but was obviously unable to do any glass damage which is what really worries me about gravel/rocks. IMHO it's the best substrate for a digging Cichlid. Only real worry is the fact that he will blow sand through his gills a lot and I'm not sure how well Cichlids deal with that.

cichlids blow sand thru their gills all the time when digging for critters on the bottom - don't worry.

Many of the Theraps ciclids are also quite pretty and get pretty large. bifasciatum is one of my favorites.

But - all cichlids dig.

Back
Top Bottom