Any non dwarf cichlids that can be kept in a 30 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stop.alvin

Aquarium Advice Activist
I really want to do something with my 30 gallon now, since I rehomed all of the fish in it.
I want one cichlid that will grow big, but can be kept in a 30 gallon.
Anything cichlid larger than 4 inches is what I consider big

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

What are the tank dimensions?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So a 29;) you could do keyhole cichlids, bolivian rams, cryptoheros

30 in length
12.5 width
21.6 Height

A 29 is 18" tall, so that's a 30 or so.

Rams (either species), Apistos, Keyholes, and maybe some of the dwarf Acaras. (Blue Rams and Apistos max out around 3" or so... Bolivian Rams get to around 4".)

Alternatively, you could do a single Angel with some bottom-dwellers.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

A 29 is 18" tall, so that's a 30 or so.

Rams (either species), Apistos, Keyholes, and maybe some of the dwarf Acaras. (Blue Rams and Apistos max out around 3" or so... Bolivian Rams get to around 4".)

Alternatively, you could do a single Angel with some bottom-dwellers.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What bottom dwellers do you recommend?

Some common bottom dwellers are corys and kuhli loaches. Both fairly simple species to keep. Can live with almost everything. You could do 1 angel and a school of 7-8 cory cats, or 7-8 kuhli loaches. Then some smaller schooling fish, like cherry barbs. If you're looking for just one fish though, I'd say any kind of ram. I love my GBR pair. Bolivians do get a bit larger too.

With cichlid(s) that need upper 70s/low 80s temperatures, I'd recommend a 6-pack of Sterbai Corys and a Bristlenose Pleco. Sterbai area one of the hardier corys and will tolerate low 80s F better than most of the other cory species. BN Plecs are excellent algae eaters and, unlike many other plecos, are rather active during the day. They're also pretty hardy. The one downside to them is that they grow fast and produce a ton of waste. So you'd need to keep an eye on your nitrate level.

The above is what I have in my 29 and is a reflection of my personal preference. But there are other good options as well. As has been mentioned, Kuhli Loaches are popular. A shoal of 6-8 Dwarf Chain loaches might work in your tank (though I think that a 30" long tank is a little on the small end for them). Clown Plecos are very hardy with less of a bioload than BNs, but are skittish and more nocturnal. Bronzed Corys (including the Albinos, which are a form of Bronzed) are very hardy and can take temps of up to 80 F. If you're doing a single centerpiece cichlid like an Angel or a really docile species such as Keyholes, a single Bolivian Ram would probably work. They're docile when not breeding, stay in the bottom third of the tank, and will stay healthy with temps down to 77 F. Rummynose Tetras are a nice tightly shoaling species for the bottom third of the tank.

Whatever you pick, just make sure that it's compatible with the water hardness, pH, and temperature of your tank.

Ok so thanks for the help guys
I've concluded with:
1 angelfish (my dad is exited for angelfish)
1 keyhole/ram/apisto
6 wide bodied tetra (still thinking on which type)

I'd do the angelfish, 2 bolivian rams, 8 bleeding heart or red eye tetra and maybe add a 6 pack of panda or sterbai corys.

I'd do the angelfish, 2 bolivian rams, 8 bleeding heart or red eye tetra and maybe add a 6 pack of panda or sterbai corys.

I'm cutting off bottom dwellers bc they don't fit my budget :/
But thanks

Ok after more research, this is what I have concluded:
1 angelfish
2 dwarf cichlids
1 black Molly (I think the gold dust ones are cute!)
5 harlequin rasboras

If there's an Angel in that tank, I'd be inclined to do medium-sized tetras in the middle of the tank. A mature Bleeding Heart is about 3" long and 1.5" tall. They take up a lot of space.

Ok after more research, this is what I have concluded:
1 angelfish
2 dwarf cichlids
1 black Molly (I think the gold dust ones are cute!)
5 harlequin rasboras

I'd nix the Molly. They like hard-to-brackish water, which is the opposite of what the angel and cichlids like. They can also be somewhat aggressive.

Harlequins are a nice choice, but you'll want more than five. They'll be happier in a shoal of 10 or so and your tank will look nicer.

Back
Top Bottom