Any one had this problem with clown loaches not eating?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mansiz

Aquarium Advice Freak
Any one had this problem with clown loaches not eating? I had a few tiger barbs in the tank, and I feed them with floating flakes, some dropped down to the tank base, but many were eaten by the barbs, but the clown loaches doesn't seems to be eager to eat, they just swim here and there and hide in the ornaments holes I placed in. What should I do in order for them to eat? Btw those flakes are suitable for all kinds of tropical fishes.

I have limited experience with the clown loach, just over 1 week actually but I have found that my CL loves frozen bloodworms. He does eat the flakes sparingly in the morning but goes ballistic when I feed them the bloodworm in the evening.

From what I understand these fish do eat a lot from the gravel and will mainly do so when not being watched! (a very shy fish). See what they do when the room lights are out and only the tank light on. If they don't change their activity much try turning the tank light out too and see what they get up to.

Best of luck
LL

Thanks littlelouie, I'll try to feed them frozen bloodworms. Does your clown loaches swim to the top to eat it or they wait for the food to drop down?

Mostly mid-way. He is in the tank with 5 cardinal tetras and they all love to hussle for the bloodworms. I feed them a little at a time, only enough for them to eat without any food hitting the gravel. This is my attempt to not over feed them.

I hope this info is helpful. If you need anymore please do not hesitate to ask. I love the opportunity to give back to this community 8)

LL

Wow!!! I fed the CL with frozen blood worms, they ate, they seems really happy with it. They ate quite a lot, seems very hungry. :D I watched them the past few days, and found out that they are more active at night, around 9 to 10pm. They even school together with tiger barbs at night, swim to the mid-level of the tank. 8O

The CL are some of the nicest loaches. They are more active at night when the lights go out, so throw something in with them just after the lights have gone out.

I have found my CLs prefer to feed at night, but will during the day too. Bloodworms are my typical for them, but I drop a few snails from my other tanks in with them as a treat.

Back
Top Bottom