any opinions on biOrbs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish 'n' fries

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've been looking into the idea of a small (5-6 gallon) tank for a dwarf puffer. It would be heavily planted. I like the look of these...but am skeptical of "kits" cause I know I'd want to change accessories and don't know how easy that would be. Does anyone have experience with these of other such small tanks? Can you change the lights etc? Thanks!

I would suggest a regular 5.5 gallon glass tank that way you can get what you like as far as filtration and lighting. The kits usually come with cheap forms of both unless you want to spend like 50 bucks on an eclipse system.

My real concern is any sort of "kit"...including the eclipse systems. I've always chosen the parts I want and don't know how adaptable these smaller tank systems are.

As for the question of a 10. That I actually have in the basement. I'm just not sure I'm willing to have a 10 gallon tank with only two or three 1'' fish in it. Since the dwarf puffers are so aggressive and territorial...if I go with this plan it'll likely only be one fish in his own small tank. Plus an excuse for me to play with a heavily planted high light tank. :)

The thing I like about the biOrbs is the aesthetic...I know if I'm looking smart money I'll get a standard 5 or use the 10 in the basement...

I have 3 DPs in a 10G - heavily planted - its a GREAT tank. The DPs are very active and oh sooooooooooo curious. Watching them hunt is a great time. Right now the tank has anacharis, hornwort, and wisteria but over time I'll be playing with the plants to add more color.

I also have an Eclipse 3 for my bettas. They're great little tanks - very quiet and the light is not bad at all (9Watts).

I would think you'd have a hard time going heavily planted in a Biorb. I doubt the light on it is anywhere near what you would need, and finding decent lights to fit it would probably be a huge challenge. Your planting area is very limited too. Although, I do think the sphere compliments the puffer's shape. :)

I kinda agree that an Eclipse may be a better alternative if you're really determined on the plants, and maybe a bit cheaper too.

I agree that an Eclipse or a standard 5.5 gallon (or even the 10 gallon) would be a better idea. As mentioned, the lighting that comes with the Biorb is likely inadequate for even low light plants, but I think that the tiny surface area of the Biorb would be an even greater concern. I'm with you on the aesthetics, but overall the Biorb system seems overpriced and less practical than a standard tank. JMO

My theory for lighting a BiOrb was a hanging light over the tank (my LFS has something similar over an odd shaped tank.) I'm not sure I see the point in buying an Eclipse. They're actually more expensive and I'm assuming I'd need to upgrade that light as well (or am I wrong on that?). If I end up having to go with a standard tank I will get the $7 basic... that's not the debate in my head. :) I take it no one actually has a BiOrb and knows what the lighting/filter etc is like? :( Thanks for all the input though.

I looked into the bio-orbs and even the 16g cyclinder one. I can't remember the watts for lights, but I believe it was just a little bulb. I really liked the looks of them, but I didn't think the filtration would be adequate. It reminded me of those tiny 12 dollar disk round bubblers for a small betta tank with a fake plant attached. I know it was more than that, but it didn't seem good enough. *I always overfilter anyway* And the price was quite steep, no matter where I looked. My LFS that had one on display, doesn't even carry it anymore.

Back
Top Bottom