Any other food I need?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andyvette

Aquarium Advice Freak
Trying to order from big als....
other than flakes and algae tabs, do I need any other food for-

Dwarf Gouramis
Mollies
Barbus Penzonata
Cories
Otos

Get a variety so they don't get sick of the same thing, Plus a varied diet is better for the health of the fish. Bloodworms,brine shrimp, sinking wafers for the bottom feeders, etc.

I need to get some bloodworms, I've heard they help with the immune system, also i found out that the different colors in flake food are for different things, i thought it was for looks so the fish could see them better but apperently each color does something healthy for your fish, thought that was cool lol

tropicfishman said:
. . . . also i found out that the different colors in flake food are for different things, i thought it was for looks so the fish could see them better but apperently each color does something healthy for your fish, thought that was cool lol

I wonder if my fruit loops are the same way with the different colors? :lol:

most flake foods provide enough of a varied diet... just look at the back of the labels.... or if on line try to find out what in them

generally frozen/live food should be used as a treat. Veggies should be given once or twice a week. and your regular food the other 5 days (or all 7 if you are so inclined to do so). I personally feed my fish New Life Spectrm food. I do use Omega 1 flake food for one particular fish that i have that is a bit fussy with it, but generally speaking NLS is the best food hands down.

If you want, the best (and somewhat cheapest) food is zucchini and if you want you can actually finely chop up some P/D tail off raw shrimp of the 81/100 size (That is peeled, deveined, no tail shell and it takes 81 to 100 shrimp to make 1 pound). Generally the smaller the shrimp the cheaper it can get. The exception you will have is popcorn or baby shrimp. That comes cooked and is quite expensive.

Looks like a good list. I'd add some shrimp pellets or other sinking food for the cory's that's not primarily vegetable matter. I find in my tank that both the cory's and Oto's will latch on and feed on both the algae wafers and the shrimp pellets. I think this gives a better balanced diet than just algae pills alone. Also the less aggressive fish get some bites on the pellets and wafers to help substitute their diet (so that they grow a similar rate to the more aggressive tankmates).

I'm looking into getting some freeze dried brine shrimp or tubiflex worms shortly to substitute in with the flake food, shrimp pellets, bloodworms, and other fresh fruits and vegetables.

justin

Im going to get bloodworms, and I am going to get that kit to make your own brine shrimp. Hopefully that works :lol:

Back
Top Bottom