Any recipes for a "brine solution"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

targaboy78

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a FLUVAL 304 canister filter.

On the back of a box of FLUVAL Ammonia Remover, it states;
Change or recharge bi-weekly. To recharge, soak in a strong brine solution for 24 hours and rinse thoroughly.

I know that a Brine solution is a saltwater mix but a "Strong Brine Solution" is such a relative term. Strong compared to what?

I've been hunting on HAGEN's site and also with GOOGLE searches for a definition (without any success).

All I am looking for is "X tablespoons of aquarium salt to Y cups of water".

Do any of you have any "Recipes" ?

Using a synthetic seasalt (probably cheaper than the FW salt) 1/2 cup per gallon of water will yield approx 1.021 SG, that I believe would be considered a strong brine solution. Another option would be to get a hydrometer and start adding rock salt (very cheap), to a SG of over 1.017.

Hi reefrunner69,

Thanks so much for the quick response.

I just heard back from HAGEN's technical support guys (it has been about 5 days since I left them the message).

Thank you for contacting us regarding your aquarium.

Brine is defined as the saturation point on salt in water. Therefore, a brine solution would contain the amount of salt that could possibly dissolve in water, resulting in a specific gravity of 1.202, which is about 10 times that of a marine aquarium and is about 230 grams per litre (a little less than 4 cups in per gallon).

Hoping this helps,

Peter McLeod
Rolf C. Hagen Inc.
I thought I would post this in case anyone was interested in what the manufacturer had to say.

I thought that recharging the ammonia remover packs would be more cost effective and environmentally friendly (less garbage) but at 10 times the salt of a marine tank, now I need to price out the salt.... :lol:

Back
Top Bottom