Any red plants for moderate light tanks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We do need to know what light you have and bulbs.

The plants that can add color in lower light tanks are Crypts Wendtii Red, Bronze, Florida Sunset, and Mi Oya. Tropica over on your side of the pond also has a red tall Crypt that I can't think of the name! Red Tiger Lotus is good also. If you have medium light Alternanthera reineckii and Rotala Indica can work for adding color.

We do need to know what light you have and bulbs.

The plants that can add color in lower light tanks are Crypts Wendtii Red, Bronze, Florida Sunset, and Mi Oya. Tropica over on your side of the pond also has a red tall Crypt that I can't think of the name! Red Tiger Lotus is good also. If you have medium light Alternanthera reineckii and Rotala Indica can work for adding color.

I have problems with alternanthera reineckii with high light lol

Telanthera Cardinalis (or alternanthera reineckii ) Is very beautiful in my tank.. I got it from petsmart for $8 and the plants were barely half inch tall and stringy.. I have had em for about 6-7 weeks now and they are 5-6 inches tall and deep ruby red like the gemstone... My tank its in is my 27g Hex.. im using 3xT8 bulbs.. but because of the height of my tank its considered low light... of course the plant did grow with high ammonia during my cycle and according to some people the ammonia helped it grow this fast which I thought as well... But still I have some in my 30g as well and its deep red also.

Here is a picture of it, this isn't an updated shot its taller and bushier now but still same color

img_2714891_0_bdb398e6b4f8de88b5616957796991ca.jpg

My alternanthera reineckii has been growing like a weed since I planted it. Probably like 2-3 inches in 2 weeks.

I've also heard it grows better In medium light. Mines purple on the bottom of the leaves and green on top.

There are different variations of Alternanthera Reineckii and each one has different upper and lower leaf color. All have purplish to darker pink undersides of leaves. Mini AR have the same nice darker pink under leaves but top leaves are a nice pink whereas reg AR has kind of bronzy green, not a bright green but dark and kind of dirty looking IMO. Varigated again has the same bottom dark pink color but tops of leaves are variegated mix of pinks mostly. The normal AR does medium light better as it's a slower grower. Mini AR does medium light but really colors up great in higher light and grows fast once acclimated. Variegated does medium to high light also.

Well you see what mine look like.. Mine are red/orange on top and pink on the bottom of the leaves.. I only have like 3-4 green leaves deep inside the plant.. My tank is considered low light... but TBH I consider it more of a medium light tank TBH. Rivercats is right about the plant once it settles in it grows like crazy... once mine started rooting it has exploded in size.

The description on the package I got it in said Telanthera Cardinalis (Red) on it.

If it is came from Pet Smart in the package it came emersed. Once it changes in the first months it looks like that. Here was some from a Pet Smart box once it changed to immersed growth in one of my tanks... Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - Rivercats's Album: 220g 8-9-13 - Picture. Over the months the color intensity changed toning down to the color you see on AR that has been grown emersed for a long time. The bottom of the leaves stay darker pink to purplish or purplish pink but the lighter pink tops darken and get that more bronzy green color like this...`Telanthera Rosefolia (Alternanthera reineckii).

Mini AR keeps it color and actually gets brighter pink the higher the light. So does the Variegated.

This is an orange red plant which AR does not color up that color... Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - Rivercats's Album: 220g 8-9-13 - Picture.

Two led strips that produce 330 lumens of light each. It is a possibility to get a third strip if two is not enough.

That doesn't help but you can take a rough guess if you use 3 and say possibly up to a medium light. But that is strictly a guess. Also remember most Led's aren't configured for planted tanks so if it has only white and blue bulbs your reddish plants will looked a little washed out.

That doesn't help but you can take a rough guess if you use 3 and say possibly up to a medium light. But that is strictly a guess. Also remember most Led's aren't configured for planted tanks so if it has only white and blue bulbs your reddish plants will looked a little washed out.

Their very modern LEDs. Interpet, 2013

I looked them up and found no helpful info but 2 or 3 should work but they are white light which means what I explained above for led lighting holds for these.

From what I'v seen. The FugeRay Planted+ LED Fixture is going to give a par in the low to mid 30's at a depth of 24 inch. Which is good med light. I just ordered a 48" unit for $150
It also is designed for planted tanks

Last edited:
From what I'v seen. The FugeRay Planted+ LED Fixture is going to give a par in the low to mid 30's at a depth of 24 inch. Which is good med light. I just ordered a 48" unit for $150
It also is designed for planted tanks

I'm English :;

Back
Top Bottom