Any Suggestions on a Canister Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sray

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Any Ideas on a Canister Filter?

I have a 30G Hex that I need to get a Canister Filter for so I can free up the top of the tank for a Skimmer. So any ideas on a Canister filter? Not sure how loud they are and the upkeep on them. Also after I get the filter I will be in the market for a Hang on tank Skimmer any ideas for that as well? Thanks for any Help.

How much live rock do you have in the tank? What other filtration do you have? With enough live rock, say 40-50 lbs for a 30g, you probably don't even need the canister filter. I've got an AquaC Remora Pro HOB Skimmer on a 46g, and I like it. For a 30g, you could probably get by with the plain old Remora.

My 25 gallon reef tank has one fluval 305 and one fluval 205. It work super well and it's my only filtration system. No3 0, Po4 0, water change every 2 week (sometime once a month when I feel lazy).
I have about 30 to 40 lbs of live rock in there.

I have a 35G Hex reef Tank with NO skimmer!!! The only way I can manage one is to get rid of my hang on back filter with a canister so that will open up the top for a hang on skimmer. So I would like to know if anyone has a suggestion on what kind of canister filter to buy. I have no idea about them, dont know how loud they are or what the upkeep is on them. Samething with a skimmer. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I have about 30 to 40lbs Live rock. So you think that I wouldn't even need a Filter? Just a Skimmer will be ok? I kind of use the water flow from the filter as well. I have a Koralia pumps 600GPH along with the filter. I have always heard you cant have to much filteration, is that true? O and I dont have enough room under my tank for a sump. That would be nice. **Dreaming**

I just picked up a brand new Fluval 404 from Ebay for $85 (free shipping). Still breaking it in, but so far.. very quiet, came with full media packs, could use a spray bar.

My only issue is that the **** top is so hard to get off, and there is no handle..so you're tempted to tug on the clamps (which is probably why some people report breaking them). If they'd build a handle on the top ( or 2 sides) so you had something to tug it would be much better.

Since witha canister you're gonna be in there all the time cleaning it out for fear of the niitrate factory buildup.

The 05 series are easier to get the lid off. I have a 304 (04 are last year's models) and I agree the top is kind of tough to get off.

Since witha canister you're gonna be in there all the time cleaning it out for fear of the niitrate factory buildup.

Sray... this is why with a little more rock, you could probably get away from the cannister altogether. If you're looking for additional water movement, another powerhead will do the trick (and needs little maintenance!)

Back
Top Bottom