Any young aquarists out there??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Burger Wife

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hiiii, I'm 13 years old, live in Singapore and I lurrrve fish and aquariums. My mom says fishkeeping is an "old man hobby" (hello excuse me?!?) and that there are practically no young aquarists out there. So I am going to start this thread to prove her wrong. If you think that fishkeeping should be for everyone of all ages, say something here! Even better, if you are a fellow teenage fishkeeper, say hi! Here's hoping that I'll get a bunch of responses soon...?

I wanted to when I was a kid but my parents got me a dog instead. When I got my own place I started the hobby. Aquariums have always fascinated me. I'm 37 by the way. Got my first aquarium when I was 23.

Hello! I had some aquariums as a little kid (maybe when I was 5 or 6), but they didn't last very long. I started getting back into the hobby on my 15th birthday. I've been keeping my tank for about six months or so now and I love it.
So yep, I'm a teenage aquarist. :) My friends all laugh at how excited I get about my fish, but I can't help it. Keeping aquariums is a really rewarding hobby.

Welcome to AA!
I'm an old man, but have kept fish since I was a teenager. My 18yr old son is going to college this fall (taking his fish tank) and I just bought my grandchildren their first fishtank. Almost forgot my 9yr old and I share (I do the work and buy stuff. Lol) a 55 gallon guppy mansion!

I grew up with fish tanks in the house. And have kept them off and on over the DECADES. I'm young at heart if that counts.

This hobby can get a bit $$$ and suck up a lot of time. Perhaps that is why we don't see lots of teens.

I grew up with fish tanks in the house. And have kept them off and on over the DECADES. I'm young at heart if that counts.

This hobby can get a bit $$$ and suck up a lot of time. Perhaps that is why we don't see lots of teens.
I know right. I have only a 20g but have already spent about $300 on it... at least I managed to get parents to fund me $120. Do you have any tips on how to save/earn money?

Not really. It's a labor of love. I raise mystery snails and sold about $300 last year. $1 a snail. The time it takes to manage an eBay ad, making the insulated packages, prep the snails and then tote them to the post office....I could have made more $$$ working at a minimum wage burger joint. And I am always a nervous wreck while they are in transit. They are my precious little babies! I am fortunate I have 2 local fish stores that also take them.

There are some places you can save so ask specific questions here before you invest. Like rock options and substrate. Filter medium and reliable equipment.

Find a local club to join. I toss more plants that people would probably like to trade for.

Last edited:
Hiiii, I'm 13 years old, live in Singapore and I lurrrve fish and aquariums. My mom says fishkeeping is an "old man hobby" (hello excuse me?!?) and that there are practically no young aquarists out there. So I am going to start this thread to prove her wrong. If you think that fishkeeping should be for everyone of all ages, say something here! Even better, if you are a fellow teenage fishkeeper, say hi! Here's hoping that I'll get a bunch of responses soon...?
No fish tanks R 4 ALL AGES BUDDY I HAVE 3, 30GAL 20GAL 5GAL AWESOME 2 HAVE AND LEARN FROM CHEMISTRY!

I'm 15 but my parents won't let me get anything more than a betta :/. They're pretty awesome though!

My family had goldfish when I was a kid, and I loved them :) I think it's great to get a look at a species so far removed from our own! Having a non-mammal pet is fascinating!

I think it's a great experience for younger folk!

I has my first fish when I was 14, I had a small 10 liter tank with a few neon tetra, a few guppies and a butterfly plec.

You used to see a lot more younger hobbyist on forums like this one, but i think social media has taken a lot of that away from us.

I believe they are still around, just not as noticeable.

Lots of the old time forums have died off, and starting a new one today is almost an effort in futility.

I am also older,but had my first tank at 14. My eighteen year old son wanted fish a couple of years ago, so that’s how I got started again.

Back
Top Bottom